Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get SourceTree for Windows to work with the version of Git LFS that's already installed

yfede August 31, 2017

I have Git LFS (ver. 2.2.1) already installed on my computer in

C:\Program Files\Git LFS

as a result of having run the installer downloaded from its official site at https://git-lfs.github.com/

the question: How do I get SourceTree for Windows to use that version, rather than the one that is embedded with it?

(which is ver. 2.0.2, as shown below)

I have searched settings for that but couldn't find any.

My current version of SourceTree for Windows is 2.1.11.0

Screen Shot 2017-08-31 at 16.18.06.png

What I have attempted:

I have searched my disk for copies of git-lfs.exe, and found:

C:\Program Files\Git LFS\git-lfs.exe
C:\Users\info\AppData\Local\Atlassian\SourceTree\git_extras\git-lfs.exe

The first one is the one I have installed, the second one seems to be the one used by SourceTree. 

To check that, I checked its version to check that it matched the one reported by SourceTree, and it does

C:\Users\info\AppData\Local\Atlassian\SourceTree\git_extras>git-lfs version
git-lfs/2.0.2 (GitHub; windows 386; go 1.8; git 85e2aec4)

Then I tried to move that copy of git-lfs.exe away from that folder, to see if that tricked SourceTree into using the system one instead.

Surprisingly, that seemed to work (see image below), BUT

Screen Shot 2017-08-31 at 15.57.09.png

BUT now every time I open a repository with LFS enabled, I am greeted with the following dialog:

Screen Shot 2017-08-31 at 15.56.26.png

and there seems to be no way to tell it to remember my decision NOT TO install embedded Git LFS.

I admit that this whole stuff feels like a workaround. The real way to get this right would be to do it as in the macOS version, where there is a separate set of buttons to choose whether to Use Embedded git-lfs, or use the system one.

1 answer

0 votes
minnsey
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 1, 2017

Hi,

Yes the situation you describe is correct.

Another workaround would be to copy the 2.2.1 version in to the git_extras folder.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events