Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to export the repository bookmarks?

Sean Lee September 28, 2013

Is there a way to export all the bookmark repository's addresses into a flat file?

4 answers

1 vote
Will Estevam July 22, 2014

I discovered a simple way to do this. Save the folders containing the files ".git" in a pendrive (or something like that), and after to restore the backup, just drag these folders to the SourceTree bookmarks.

I did it with all folders in the same time and it worked!

(sorry by my poor english)

1 vote
KieranA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 29, 2013

Hi Sean,

We don't usually recommend this for the reason that bookmarks are absolute paths, which means wherever you're migrating your bookmarks to must have the exact same absolute folder structure in order for the bookmarks to work unless you edit the file, just so you're aware.

The bookmarks file is located at ~/Library/Application Support/SourceTree/browser.plist

Cheers

Sean Lee September 30, 2013

Hi Kieran,

The location is at at ~/Users/name/Library/Application Support/SourceTree/

However, this file stores the location of the local storage, not the repo URL. Could you please tell me where the repo URL is stored?

Thanks.

KieranA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 30, 2013

Hi Sean,

The tilde (~) goes to your home directory, so it is ~/Library/Application Support/SourceTree/. Your example is an absolute URL which would be just /Library/Application Support/SourceTree (without the tilde at the start).

The repository URL is stored where it's typically stored, in your git config (in .git folder of repo) for Git or your hgrc file for Mercurial. This is a Git/Mercurial concept though rather than SourceTree, we just read those files.

Cheers

0 votes
Dirk Surmann February 19, 2015

I used the "bookmarks.xml" which is mentioned in this thread.

Kind regards

0 votes
Sean Lee October 1, 2013

Hi Kieran,

I'm trying to export the remote repository list, not opening each bookmark and copy paste each URL. Where does SourceTree store the remote repository addresses?

KieranA
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 1, 2013

Hi Sean,

We don't support away of exporting all remote URLs. It's not something I've ever heard of being needed. Typically users just want their bookmarks list. If they're migrating their data over to another machine they usually copy/paste all of their repositories and then copy/paste their browser.plist file over keeping the file structures the same for their repositories thus restoring all of their bookmarks as before.

Cheers

Arnab Bhar July 15, 2019

If someone has 500 remote links , do you expect someone to copy paste 500 times , it is like moving back to stoneage in age of supercomputers

x12586 November 16, 2019

Everybody has to do this time to time Sean when:

- reinstall everything

- thers´s a new machine

- etc, etc.
Usualy we copy all fisical folders with repos to the new machine, same place. Then we should be able to import all bookmarcks and its hierarchy folders into sourcetree. That feature is missing and we have to do that manually. Create all the folders and then drag all the repos, organise, reorganise, .....
One simple feature...

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events