How to disable updates for sourcetree?

Joe Millay January 4, 2018

I'd like to disable automatic updates for sourcetree and stop the frequent messages that popup. I  found this solution, but it doesn't work for me, I dont have the same files this is referencing. 

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Sourcetree-questions/How-disable-updates-for-sourcetree/qaq-p/627553

I am using version 2.3.5.0. There is a config file located here:

C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\SourceTree\app-2.3.5\SourceTree.exe.config

that may contain the configuration item to turn off the updates?

4 answers

1 vote
pootzko September 23, 2019

This is terrible.

3.2.6 doesn't allow me to do one thing that should work flawlessly - create remote branches. All because some fool decided to enforce their own rules about the branch naming. There is an open ticket for this and it's marked as LOW priority.

Working with branches is one of the core functionalities that MUST work in an app such as sourcetree. How do you even break something like this that has been working just fine for ages?

You are at the same time:

1. Providing the gitflow option which initializes branches with slashes
2. Not allowing slashes in branch names (on push)
3. Not allowing us to downgrade and prevent automatic updates which would bring us to this new, buggy version of the app

That's just insane. 

Cheers

1 vote
scarabus June 11, 2019

Is that a joke? It's not very funny.

You've removed the option to disable updates and you have a non-dismissable popup asking the user to update every, single, time, they launch SourceTree.

Update? No.
Update? No.
Update? No.
No, no, no! Just let me do my work.

It's user-hostile design of the worst degree.

0 votes
Nguyen Nguyen September 15, 2019

Dont update to 3.2.6 version. I find it very buggy to work with, so sad, but I can not make any commit when using 3.2.6 version :(

cci_kouznv September 16, 2019

Double that.

0 votes
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 9, 2018

Hi Joe! You should be able to disable updates by navigating to the Preferences menu > Update and uncheck the box "Automatically check for updates". Could you find it?

Alternatively, you can follow the updates in this other post.

Hope that helps!

Ana

Joe Millay January 10, 2018

Thank you for the response. No, I don't see a preferences menu. I see a "Tools" menu, then Options, then an "Updates" tab that looks like this:

sourceTreeUpdate.PNG

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events