Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to configure Beyond Compare 4 as external merge tool for Source Tree?

Deleted user May 21, 2015

I can get Beyond Compare 4 to work as the diff tool however not as the merge tool even if I configure it as a custom merge tool.  The merge box pops up for moment and then goes away.  If this can't be explained I'd like to know if there is a way I can determine the error I am running into it so I have some evidence to help solve the problem.  Thank you!!!

1 answer

0 votes
Balázs Szakmáry
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 21, 2015

The config options for this are in Tools\Options\Diff . Make sure to not have either the diff or the merge tool set to "System Default", that seems to never work. There are built-in options for Beyond Compare.

If you notice I said I already did that.  I cannot get it to work either setting it directly or setting it as custom.  I continued to play around with it and I have learned that I have a bigger issue.  I think somehow my source tree has gotten into a bad state.  I am unable to even use the original merge tool I had configured which is TortoiseMerge.  Only the difference viewer seems to work.

Balázs Szakmáry
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 21, 2015

I misunderstood, I thought you only used the custom option. Anyway. If this happens with any merge program, I'm not sure how you could fix it. You could try updating/reinstalling SourceTree. [Are SourceTree and BC both installed to their default locations?]

Before I saw your second response I had already removed my repository and started the check out process again. I am going to see if that cleans up anything. If not I will try the re-install. As for your question both are installed in the default locations.

Balázs Szakmáry
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 21, 2015

I am fairly sure the problem is with SourceTree, not the clone you are working with

Deleted user May 22, 2015

You would be correct. As it turns out ALL choices I tried other than System Default did not work. I then configured git to use beyond compare and put it back to system default and that worked great.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events