Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to bump or escalate an existing bug report?

BenStaveleyTaylor August 23, 2017

I was about to report a SourceTree bug but I realised it had already been logged. I added some comments of my own. Specifically, this is https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/SRCTREE-3962 "Dialog are too wide when take the 'reset xxx to this commit' action".

This bug has been open for over a year and is still showing as "Needs Verification" status. It's really very annoying and doesn't seem like it would be too hard to fix. Is there a way to bump the issue so it gets triage attention from the support team?

Thanks.

1 answer

0 votes
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 24, 2017

Hi Ben! Bugs are not fixed depending on how easy/complex they are to solve, but depending on how high they are on the priority list. The developers will take into account highly voted tickets, regressions, new features work, etc. For a more detailed explanation, you can read our Bug fixing policy

Unfortunately, there's nothing we can do to bump the priority of a certain bug apart from what's stated in that policy.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Ana

BenStaveleyTaylor August 24, 2017

Hi Ana -- Thanks for the reply. Sure, I understand the general process and I appreciate that what might seem an important issue to me may not be to other people. I'll leave it with you.

I can't stop myself saying this though: You said "Bugs are not fixed depending on how easy/complex they are to solve". In the Bug fixing policy link, it says: "For non-critical bugs, the team prioritises the bug according to these factors: ... [item 3] How difficult the issue is to fix" :-)

Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 24, 2017

You're right, the complexity is also taken into consideration, but not by itself. We combine it with the other factors stated in that article to create a value score that our developers use to decide which bug they need to work on first:

When considering the priority of a non-critical bug, we try to determine a value score for a bug. The score takes into account the severity of the bug from our customers' perspective, how prevalent the bug is, and whether new features on our roadmap may render the bug obsolete. Our developers combine the value score with a complexity score (how difficult the bug is) when selecting issues to work on.

In the case of SRCTREE-3962, this bug is not critical, doesn't put security at risk, is not very popular (only one vote)... so personally I believe they will be focusing on other issues first. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Hope this explains!

Ana

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events