How to Start SourceTree for Mac with Tabbed Windows

G Hu August 18, 2017

When I start SourceTree on my Mac, it ALWAYS comes up with separate windows for each repository, and I have to click the "Merge All Windows" menu option to coalesce them into a single window. I think in the past it always came up in tabbed mode.

How can I fix that?

4 answers

3 votes
Stefan Simon September 2, 2019

I came here because this feature stopped working after a clean install of macOS. You probably need to configure macOS correctly:

defaults write ~/Library/Preferences/.GlobalPreferences.plist AppleWindowTabbingMode -string "always"
iapanin April 1, 2021

Hi Stefan,

thank you for suggestion. Command you showed sets tabbing mode for all applications in macOS, it is not convenient for example for Double Commander. I prefer to set tabbing mode only for SourceTree:

defaults write -app SourceTree AppleWindowTabbingMode -string "always"
Like # people like this
Jérôme Godbout October 19, 2021

This is the only solution that actually work! The issues below haven't been solved, they are just marked as duplicated and the last one is unresolved! What a missing basic feature, they could add the above command as toggle switch into pref panel at least to write it and remove it. Such a shame they are not doing it. But thanks save me some sanity.

3 votes
bgannin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 18, 2017

We don't have an option for this currently. You can vote and follow along here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/SRCTREE-4207

Brian Ganninger
Senior Mac Developer, SourceTree

Jérôme Godbout October 19, 2021

They are linking to many duplicated and the one and only one is just close unresolved! what a trash way to close issues!

Nachum Shmilovitz December 1, 2021

Hi Jérôme Godbout

Just download the latest version and the solution is there
open several projects 
then go to window menu -> Merge All Windows 

Nachum

Like # people like this
0 votes
Deleted user December 1, 2021

Seem like the latest 4.1.4 is now restoring window properly if we set the preferences int general tab:

Windows Restoration: Restore windows on startup

The open project also open into the tab view! yeah the latest version is now working! Yeah!

0 votes

The problems is that you have to do that manually every time, you open a new project and have to go to the menu again and merge over again. Reopen the app, guess what, need to go to the menu again! Talk about something super annoying. Just give us an auto merge option into preference. Stop messing around.

Nachum Shmilovitz December 1, 2021

Hi Jerome Godbout,
Gotcha
The way I am working is that the projects I worked on are not changed too often, so this solution is good enough for me
Nachum 

I work on rotating project, around 3-4 per day that change every week, this is such a pain, if at least we could let Source Tree open for a while... it's a RAM leaking ogre, need to restart it every day... 

Like Nachum Shmilovitz likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events