Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you get SourceTree to show Bitbucket team repos on New Tab > Remote?

MitchMcHenry August 28, 2017

I'm setting up Bitbucket for our team for the first time.  I've created some repos and assigned team members.

When I go into SourceTree everything is great.  All the team repos are listed automatically in the remote repository list under New Tab > Remote.

However, when teammates do the same, no repos are listed.  I found old posts about needing to watch/follow other user's repos to get them to show in the list (which makes sense).  So I had a teammate watch one of the repos in Bitbucket, but it still won't show in his remote list in SourceTree.

However, that teammate can manually enter the info and clone successfully in SourceTree, so it's not a rights issue.  They have rights and are watching it, so I'm not sure why it won't show in the remote list.

As another test, I had the teammate create a private repo and give me admin rights to it.  I can access the repo in Bitbucket and I started watching it, but it won't show in my remote list in SourceTree.  And of course, I can manually enter the info and clone successfully.

As far as I can tell this is supposed to work.  Can anyone confirm if it in fact works, and if so, how?

Note: I posted this as a discussion a month ago and only got "same problem here" reposnses.  I'm hoping posting it as a question might get an actual answer.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
jyo
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 29, 2017

Mitch,

I think I know the answer, and it has something to do with how Bitbucket permissions work (i.e. strangely).

To test this:

- Create a group within your team.

- Make sure the group is either read/write and has Can create repos checked

- Add a teammate who is unable to see the remotes

- Have teammate remove then re-add the account in SourceTree

MitchMcHenry August 30, 2017

You are correct. I changed his group to have "create repos" permission and when he deleted/re-added his account in SourceTree and it worked. Then I removed the "create repos" permission and repeated the process and he's back to no repos listed.

So thanks for that answer, but surely this is bug, right? Why would you need "create repos" rights to browse remote repos to which you have access? Especially when Bitbucket itself doesn't require that.

I really don't want every dev to be able to create repos. So I guess I have to choose between convenience of browsing remotes in SourceTree and proper security.

Any chance of this being fixed?  This can't be the intended behavior, right?

waded-relias January 20, 2018

Ditto what @MitchMcHenry said. This workaround seems to be on the slippery slope toward "everyone's a Bitbucket admin because we can't figure this out" when all that's desired is for team remotes to be easily discovered.

Why's it work this way?

vhssupport February 16, 2018

This worked for me.  Definitely a bug.

Lalit Bhatt July 24, 2018

I am not able to see the repo of my org though I have admin rights to repos. Is this  bug still valid?

Like # people like this
Michael Milo August 17, 2018

I'm experiencing this issue.  I've made sure I have "create repo" permissions, have created a repo on our team bitbucket server, and dropped and re-added the account in SourceTree... and it still doesn't appear in the SourceTree remote tab.

Makes SourceTree worthless for browsing remote repositories.  Any word from the Atlassian team on this bug?

Evan McDaniel July 9, 2019

I gotta admit it's super frustrating that this bug hasn't been addressed. Same as @Michael Milo the workaround did not work for my team.

Any update from the Atlassian folks?

gveerar July 11, 2019

Any update on this issue? I am facing similar issue. I was able to see all the remote repos of the teams that I was part of until couple of weeks back and now it is not showing up in sourcetree. I am part of the admin group of the team and still unable to see the remote repositories in the sourcetree.

Appreciate any help to resolve this issue.

Thanks,
Veera

Edem April 7, 2020

Any updates on this? Cause this issue makes Sourcetree practically unusable for me and anyone in our company.

Like # people like this
Christof Wollenhaupt August 20, 2020

Seems to work now for me...

Edem September 18, 2020

@Christof Wollenhauptwithout allowing users to create repos? Cause it still doesn't work for me...

Sourcetree couldn't resolve this in 3 years, meanwhile gitKraken works fine, proving that it's not impossible to do it right.

Christof Wollenhaupt September 20, 2020

@Edem You are right, I only tested with users that have the permissions to create a repository, because initially it didn't even work for them. 

Edem September 21, 2020

@Christof Wollenhaupt That's half a success, but as @MitchMcHenry mentioned earlier, not a viable solution in companies where not all developers who has read or write access to repositories have permission to create repositories - which probably means all but the smallest development teams...

Like Adrian Babilinski likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events