Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do sourcetree know there are changes on origin?

giammin March 3, 2016

How do sourcetree know there are changes on origin and display the number of new commit in the toolbar Pull button

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 4, 2016

SourceTree can be (and is by default) configured to issue a "git fetch" command every few minutes.

In the options dialog, see "Check default remotes for updates every __ minutes".

1 vote
Johannes Kilian
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 3, 2016

By polling the connected server .... I'm not quite sure if the numbers can be determined if you use another hosting service as Bitbucket Server (as I don't use any other)

giammin March 3, 2016

i'm interested in the git command it uses

Johannes Kilian
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 3, 2016

I haven't any great expertise here, but If I look at the "atlassian-bitbucket-access.log" log file (within BITBUCKET_HOME), I see the following:

172.16.0.120 | http | i@13J5DP6x17x2603224x0 | - | 2016-03-04 00:17:44,994 
| "GET /scm/myProj/configdata.git/info/refs HTTP/1.1"
| "" "git/1.9.5.msysgit.0" | - | - | - | - | - | - |

This seems to be used to get the state of the remote repository (see: https://git-scm.com/book/be/v2/Git-Internals-Transfer-Protocols - info/refs)

Comparing this data with your local repository, SourceTree might determine the asked information.

Johannes Kilian
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 3, 2016

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events