Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I view history of an individual file?

Deleted user March 17, 2016

Hi,

This seems like such a simple requirement that I get the feeling I am being super-stupid here, but I can't figure out how to view the history of an individual file.  The problem has two parts:

1. How can I see all the files in a project, so I can choose the file I want to see the history of?  (At the moment, I use Visual Studio for this.)
  2. Once I have picked the individual file, how do I view its history (and preferably have the option of reverting to an older version)?

I'm guessing this must be possible somehow because I have just been reading an Atlassian Git tutorial, which mentions being able to retrieve an older version of a file in such a way that it does change the current working copy of your project.  The command, I believe, is:

git checkout a1e8fb5 hello.py

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Kind wishes ~ Patrick

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 17, 2016

To see all files, change the dropdown above the file list from "Pending files" to "All files". You can then use the search bar to the right to filter the list based on filename.

When you have found the file you want, right-click and choose "Log Selected...". In the Log Selected window, you can select a commit and choose "Reset to commit..." to replace your working copy with that version of the file.

Deleted user March 17, 2016

Ha ha - the key part I was missing was the right-click to get Log Selected.

Thank you!

Sue Bridges June 9, 2016

Thanks for the answer, needed this, hardly obvious.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events