Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I verify my files before pushing them.

noozoo April 9, 2013

I want to push, but I want to see what changes i have before I push. In gitbash, I just need to do this: git diff --stat origin/master.

Is there a way to do this in SourceTree? If not it seems like a major gap.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 10, 2013

You can already do this in git, because the log supports diffing between 2 arbitrary points in time and the remote branch you're tracking is in the log.

Make sure that you have 'Show Remote Branches' enabled. Then, right-click the remote branch in the sidebar (origin > master) and select 'Diff against current'. What this actually does is multi-select your local branch and the remote branch in the log, which shows the difference between them.

You can actually use Ctrl-Click to arbitrarily select any 2 commits and see the difference between them in the log, 'Diff against current' is just a short cut which is available for most entries in the sidebar.

noozoo April 10, 2013

I can't find where to enable "Show Remote Branches" but I must have it enabled, because this works. I had to choose which remote branch of course.

Thanks!

Just a note: I searched all the menus for this and the help, and was unable to find this. Maybe an opportunity to update the help files.

0 votes
KieranA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 10, 2013

Hi Michael,

There's already an open feature request for this in JIRA here lined up for 1.6 which means you'll see it in SourceTree this year (assuming you're talking of the Mac version).

Hope that helps

noozoo April 10, 2013

What about on windows?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events