Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I update files from the repository

Genny Williams March 23, 2015

A month ago I checked out the files I need from the repository. Someone else has made changes since then. I want to work with the latest files. How do I get them? Your GUI is far from intuitive and your help is not helping. I am using SourceTree with Bitbucket.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 23, 2015

The UI is intuitive enough IF you have a working understanding of Git/Mercurial. It is not intended to be an "it just works" versioning tool.

If you are using Git, the Git book is a great resource. Read sections 1.1 through 1.3, and all of chapters 2 and 3. After doing so once, you should understand what 80% of the interface is supposed to do (since terms like "Fetch", "Push", "Merge", and "remote" will all have been defined).

Genny Williams March 23, 2015

Thank you for the reference to the Git book! I'll look for it. I've been thrown into something with little time to really learn it. As a writer, I appreciate being referred to useful documentation. .

Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 24, 2015

git-scm.com/book/en/v2 Fully available online for free, or you can buy a print copy.

0 votes
Cal_Harrington March 23, 2015

Hi Genny,

I am not an expert yet. Still learning but I use the Pull or Fetch buttons to update my local repository. I have found that if the repository is checked out to another machine then I can't check it out again. It seems that way to me.

from stackoverflow.com on the difference between fetch and pull

Hope that is helpful,

Cal

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events