How do I resolve a "smudge error"?

ModernStoryteller November 25, 2017

I'm running the latest version of SourceTree with git LFS in Windows 10. I'm trying to check out a new branch created by a colleague. Every time I try, I get the following message:

Error downloading object: Binaries/Win64/UE4Editor-ModernStoryteller01.dll (f109566): Smudge error: Error downloading Binaries/Win64/UE4Editor-ModernStoryteller01.dll (f109566e566f3e968348dd53eb8f92ad25fcbd285cf0504b6585ce2a755401a5): LFS: Get https://media-api.atlassian.io/file/9d01de26-2749-4291-aa3b-b20788d92377/binary: dial tcp 65.151.186.127:443: connectex: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.

I have no idea what this means or how to fix it. I don't have any issues checking out any other branches, and my internet connection is stable.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 28, 2017

Hi Nick! I've done some research and looks like this error means that the server is not listening at the specified ip/port that you are trying to connect to. It can be caused by using the wrong IP address or the wrong protocol. From your error message, looks like Sourcetree fails to connect to 65.151.186.127 on port 443. Can you also make sure the URL you're using is the right one? It redirects me to Facebook from some reason, and times out. 

If you keep having issues, can you try performing the same operation directly from the command line instead of using Sourcetree? You can use the following to get a verbose output:

set GIT_TRACE_PACKET=1 set GIT_TRACE=1 set GIT_CURL_VERBOSE=1

Let us know if this helped you!

Ana

ModernStoryteller November 28, 2017

Thanks Ana. See my update below.

0 votes
ModernStoryteller November 28, 2017

On further research and ping traces I discovered there were Atlassian servers I couldn't reach via my ISP (a colleague using the same ISP had the same problem). I reported it to my ISP and the next day it worked fine.

Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 29, 2017

I'm glad to hear that and thanks for sharing this with us!

Have a good day :)

Ana

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events