How do I get the file tree back?

Kaveh Vaghefi April 29, 2014

Sourcetree 1.9.x completely changed the file selection UI. How do I get the tree back? There no longer seems to be an option to display files within their directories in a tree.

47 answers

1 accepted

16 votes
Answer accepted
Roy Leban April 30, 2014

I have added a number of Jira requests for the issues. Please vote up the ones you care about:

Changes are staged automatically after upgrading to 1.9
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/SRCTREE-2255

Bring back filename view
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/SRCTREE-2257

Restore Amend Commit checkbox
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/SRCTREE-2258

Fix scrolling for staging area
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/SRCTREE-2259

Move commit message history button to the top
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/SRCTREE-2260

Hunks all run together in 1.9 diff view
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/SRCTREE-2261

Adrian von Gegerfelt May 5, 2014

If only I could log in to vote :(

12 votes
alex hunsley April 29, 2014

I agree with most above: new UI feels like a step backwards, not forwards. No staged files view?!

10 votes
Adrian von Gegerfelt May 5, 2014

I can't log in to vote :(

mlevison May 21, 2014

Jira declares an error when I try to login :-)

9 votes
spiewok April 30, 2014

Downgrading to 1.8.1. Horrible update:

- TreeView is missing.

- No staging area.

- Updating the window (pending files) takes way too long (nearly 2 mins here to catch up with the changes in the file!)!

- UI is taking to much space anyway.

7 votes
milky_la April 29, 2014

+ 1 I dont undertand this chage: tree view is probably the main reason I would use SourceTree at all...

rzero May 20, 2014

I've used SourceTree for a few years and have never used the tree view. It's the REST of the new UI that I have a problem with...

5 votes
Peter Chermie April 30, 2014

Some horrible changes in this update indeed. No column view in the file lists is deffinitely the worst of all. I think I'll downgrade to 1.8.1 for now :(

Why would you touch the basic UI functionalities while they work really well and people love them? Haven't you learnt anything from Microsoft's Metro interface? ;) Don't innovate just for the sake of the innovation.

I hope these issues will be fixed soon.

4 votes
Fernando Mazzon May 12, 2014
I didn't last 10 minutes with 1.9.1... Here's the old version for those who agree the new UI has no purpose in life:
http://downloads.atlassian.com/software/sourcetree/SourceTree_1.8.1.dmg

(I couldn't find the windows version but it should be around there)
3 votes
Stephan Tual May 19, 2014

Worst GUI update ever. Very hard to understand what's going on, tree view gone, things seem to auto-stage when you press select checkboxes, it's maddening. Why oh why

Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 19, 2014

This is not an answer. Please vote up the issues that you would like to see changed using the links in the accepted answers.

3 votes
Georges Berenger April 29, 2014

OK, after 1h of searching through all the menu options, I found it by looking at a screenshot of the new version...

The top of the panel that shows the commit details can be pulled down to reveal the files. For some reason, this section was pulled-up all the way, making it impossible to see and extremely hard to discover, but now that I've pulled it down, I can't pull it back up all the way.

You can see it the files in this view: http://sourcetreeapp.com/images/sourcetree-hero-mac-log.png

Philipp Ringler April 29, 2014

Yeah, but that's still only flat view, it doesn't show tree or column view!

Agree. What happened to tree and column view? Those were super useful. This really is more like a UI regression.

Georges Berenger April 29, 2014

I agree, this new view is pure BS. At least, I can see the files.

Thanks for the pointer to v1.8.1, I'll go back to this version right away!

Georges Berenger April 30, 2014

To be clear, when I first launched 1.9, the entire file panel was simply invisible (no even a hint of where it was). I just could not see *any* file or where that panel was. It was the only panel I could see in 1.8.1, as the revision details panel was invible in 1.8.1, and I had to grab the top of the only view there was in 1.9, the revision details view, to make the file panel appear at all. Now that I'm happily back in 1.8.1, I can see both the files & the revision details panel, which I never saw before!

Which doesn't mean that now that I can see my files, all my problems are gone. I pretty much agree that all these UI changes are regressions, a share of which are dealbreakers (separate staging section, tree view, maybe more).

Rob Maxwell May 6, 2014

Similar thing happened with me, but i noticed i could expand the missing panel slightly (seems randomly, like there's something preventing my drag and drop). Ultimately, I can't give 1.9 a fair shot right now, since my paths seem to be longer than normal, and most of the files listen in the panel look like this:

..asViewHelper.java

2 votes
Yuri Noyanov May 5, 2014

Unfortunatly, I have to revert to 1.8.1 too. Working without treeview is too dificullt and dangerous for me. Looking forward to return it in a next release.

2 votes
stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 30, 2014

(corss-posted from the blog)

Rather than reply to every comment here I thought I'd respond here at the top level. Firstly, apologies to people who don't like the changes in this update. We always knew it might be controversial with some people, although we genuinely felt that after doing user tests and using it ourselves internally for many weeks that after an adjustment period, it felt better. I hope you give it some time, try the alternate approaches, but if you still feel strongly, the previous version is still available here:http://downloads.atlassian.com...

We're making some small refinements and fixes for 1.9.1, and we'll be reviewing all the feedback for future updates. Changes to a core UI component which hasn't altered much in over 2 years is always going to be tough, but there were definitely things to address when it came to new users (particularly those new to git). We thought we'd got the balance right between making it easier for new users while retaining the preferences of more advanced users - which includes us! - but your feedback is useful in gauging the success of that in the 'real world' of course. Thanks for your feedback, and for your patience; we all want to make SourceTree the best tool for everyone.

Adrian von Gegerfelt May 6, 2014

Like the comment on this issue (https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/SRCTREE-2267), I'd say that these changes wouldn't make it easier for a new user either.

We are five users here in my office, and we are all very disappointed with the new working copy and commit windows. You can't even select multiple files.

Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 6, 2014

The blog Steve posted states that you can select multiple files (try Cmd+Click and Shift+Click), then press the space bar to check (or uncheck) them all.

Adrian von Gegerfelt May 6, 2014

Thanks, that does work, and it's incredibly bad GUI design! How should I have known?

George Cook May 20, 2014

I honestly find it a horrible step back. Having separate scrolling lists/tree view for stage/modified files was a great workflow.

Sometimes I have huge commits (I'm a unity devleoper, so import packages with hundreds of files).

Not being able to have a tree view just kills it, the same as not being able to see what's being staged.

Considering the old view is working really well, and has use cases for many users (there's quite a few voices here and on Jira), would it really hurt you guys to have an option for both?

It might be we can come to terms with the new view also if it at least had a tree view? (though I personally struggle with it regardless - it hangs, it's buggy, it's not really doing the things I want.. it's just a pita to be honest).

Alex Colburn May 20, 2014

What alternative tools are people exploring?

George Cook May 21, 2014

Github for mac is an obvious option. I'll stick with my 1.8.1 for now; and if this change seems permanent with no means of viewing tree/separate scrolling for stages/changed then as an iOS and Unity3d developer I'll have no choice but to try out github for mac...

EDIT: I just tried out 10.8.1.. like ice water in a desert... (phew)

2 votes
Chris Graham April 30, 2014

OMG, I used to love this tool, now I hate it. How can an update go so bad, so quickly?

1 vote
Alexis Cedeno March 30, 2016

Actual options, not tree view present

old.png

Older version , tree view present.

current.png

There are a lot of people in the forum experimenting the same issue.

I really appreciate is there a way to have the tree view back.

1 vote
Martín Currao February 16, 2016

Years later, they update the Windows version. New horrible UI. And no tree view. The only two functions I really used from SourceTree were the treeView and the Branches graphical Log / History (you should remove that too, Atlassian, that would be another great move). 

And they left the Switch View icon, but with no options but the default, like saying "Look, here you could do things before". 

SourceTree 1.8.1

Enhancements

• Atlassian account: Use existing Atlassian credentials to login to SourceTree or create a new account here.
  • Git LFS: Automatically install LFS tools, initialize LFS for repositories, and modify what file types to track
  • UI Updates: Icon refresh, and streamlined toolbar
  • Performance updates:
    • Improved rendering of the diff view
    • Deprecated Fluid Staging view in the file status view
    • Deprecated Tree File Listing in File Status and Log Views
    • Refactored code base to allow for separation of services within the application

I still don't get how removing Tree File Listing counts as an enhancement...

daniele-niero February 22, 2016

after moths of pushing to have it on windows too... unbelivable

0 votes
Alexis Cedeno March 31, 2016

Daniele Niero,

Christian Tismer explained exactly the issue that we are facing not having a Tree View. We use it a lot, specially when me make a release to production.

Below you can find graphically what exactly the issue is.

No Tree view Present

Tree view Present (Last version)

current.png

No Tree view Present (Current Version)

old.png

0 votes
daniele-niero March 31, 2016

@Christian Tismer Tree view was introduced in windows with version 1.6.something if I'm not wrong, more or less a year ago after 2 years of pushing and then it was removed again with the new update everybody is complaining about (for windows is version 1.8)

People are really mad about it especially because it took, as I said, more than 2 years to convince Atlassian to add that, frankly mandatory, feature. So I assume this is why Alexis ended up here.

I will double check names next time, sorry about that.

0 votes
ctismer March 30, 2016

@Daniele Niero

That may be, but the windows UI never had the tree view.

This complaint was about a changed UI that removed the tree view from OS X, around end of 2014.

And you should better cite names correctly, it is not that hard wink

0 votes
daniele-niero March 30, 2016

Christian Timser  The issue is still present on Windows along with an even worse UI. The windows version has always been much worse than the Mac one.

0 votes
ctismer March 30, 2016

@Alexis Cedeno

What exactly are you talking about?

This issue has been resolved long time ago, and the current ST 2.2.4 definitely has a good tree view.

0 votes
Alexis Cedeno March 30, 2016

Please provide ASAP a hot-fix or a new version with the "TreeView" view

0 votes
Chris Graham November 4, 2014

File tree view is back in there, look for the icon with a bunch of lines, above the staged files pane, then select the tree tree view. The big difference is the amount of white space in each of the tree views, I think it is way too much, and need to be tightened up.

0 votes
KAZ Vorpal November 4, 2014

I hate not having a file tree. I'm dealing with it because the client's using SourceTree and I want to be compatible, but I'm often the decision-maker if I'm coming in to a new project, and I'd never choose SourceTree, or any other similar tool, without a file tree. It's absurd. Is there some wonky tech theory that people shouldn't use file trees for source control, or something?

0 votes
David Deharbe June 22, 2014

I concur with the reactions. I am reverting back to 1.8.1. And so should the master branch of Sourcetree for OS X.

Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 22, 2014
David Deharbe June 22, 2014

I maybe late, but the changes that were made do not result in a user experience as smooth as that of version 1.8.1.

Martin Fredriksson June 23, 2014
I completely agree with @David Deharbe. The new version, which is actually 1.9.4, is still pretty bad. I'm using 1.8.1, which is a very nice application, and will do so until it stops working. I have given up on 1.9.x, since Atlassian Source Tree team doesn't do software development in a way that I can accept. Too bad, but there is a time for everything...
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 23, 2014

Looking at this from a software developer's perspective, "Not...as smooth" and "still pretty bad" contains no constructive criticism on what could be changed. You guys all whined about the tree view being gone. Now it's there. If it isn't what you want, you'll need to be more specific, and hope that someone with Atlassian is still digging through the pages of redundant complaints on this question.

David Deharbe June 23, 2014

My first constructive advice can be found in my initial past: revert to 1.8.1...

For instance staging interactively a bunch of modifications in a bunch of files was rather smooth in 1.8.1 (could be improved by auto-selecting the next changed file). Since 1.9.x, the number of clicks necessary to do the same kind of operations has multiplied and became extremely tedious...

This said, from an outer perspective, this gives the impression that the Atlassian process does not study how the users interact with their software - and ask their users to explained how the design modifications ruined their experience.

Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 23, 2014

I do not work for Atlassian, but do my best to help users on this forum get useful answers to their issues.

If you really disagree with every difference between 1.8.1 and 1.9.4.1, then by all means cling to 1.8.1. If your problem is with some of the changes, then identify which of those changes are problematic. It is arrogant to assume that every user is just like you and that a change that you don't like is a result of ignorance of how the software is used.

As for interactive staging, my impression is that the workload is similar. Old way: use CMD or SHIFT with clicks to select a group of files, then click a button to stage them. New way: CMD or SHIFT with clicks to select a group of files, then hit Space to stage them.

rzero June 23, 2014

The opinion online seems to be more or less 100% against the radical changes made in 1.9.x. Nobody seems to be sticking up for the new design at all, except for the nice folks over at Atlassian, and you apparently. Could just be a vocal minority, but that seems doubtful given many of the objectively (from a fundamental UI/UX perspective) bad design decisions that were made.

This seems to be supported by the SourceForge team's own decisions to revert to the old UI design in several areas, citing user discontent.

Given the time and effort required to retrain my entire team on the usage and pitfalls of the new 1.9.x design, I'm left with the decision to "cling to 1.8.1" (which I am doing wholeheartedly since it is such a superior product) or use that time and effort to research alternative solutions (which makes me sad, since SourceForge was generally such a great product until now).

It's been fascinating to see this play out on the forums. I don't think I will ever fathom how it was decided to go down this path, or what the perceived benefit to anyone was.

Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 23, 2014

I'm not standing up for the changes (which I am not even familiar with - being a Windows user), but merely trying to turn this into a productive conversation.

This site (answers.atlassian.com) is a community of usersof SourceTree. The changes that have been made so far (which are apparently insufficient) have come about through bug reports and feature requests on jira.atlassian.com. Atlassian staff is very upfront about the fact that they cannot and do not monitor all questions and answers on this site.

In any case, the top voted answer on the question is a prime example of constructive criticism, and half of those issues have been addressed to some degree since it and the linked bug reports were posted.

Martin Fredriksson June 24, 2014
@Seth: you seem to completely miss the point of the argument against the mishandling of SourceTree in version 1.9.x, which is made even more clear when you think that they actually fixed the problems introduced in 1.9 (they didn't). My guess is that it is because you have no idea what we're talking about since you don't use the software we're discussing (Mac version). Your ignorance is not at all helping to turn this into a productive discussion, so my advice is that you discuss issues you have experience with instead.
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 24, 2014

I get the impression that they fixed some issues. I am willing to acknowledge that without any first-person experience, I may be completely incorrect.

Assuming I am completely incorrect, my point that complaints would be more productive as bug reports is still valid.

Clearly my opinions are not welcome in this conversation, so I'll respectfully conclude. Good luck to you all!

ctismer June 24, 2014

@Seth: I am using ST both on Windows and Mac, and if I compare 1.8.1/1.9.x on Windows, then I can see your point.

I think many of the Mac users are thinking of the triple of

- Flat View, Tree View, Column View

when talking about the "tree view". Flipping between the three, and especially the column view that did never exist on windows, is missing very much in Mac ST 1.9.x.

I would really appreciate if that column view would be implemented for Windows, or at least not be removed from the Mac version. Windows users may not know and value this, but Mac users love it very much as a typical OS/X feature.

0 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 29, 2014
0 votes
Hubert Ott May 29, 2014

Yes, please bring back the TREE VIEW!

If anything it added the ability to selectively traverse the file structure, if you ever found yourself with 100's of files to commit. Its almost impossible to effectively deal with more than 50-100 file changes across a directory strucutre.

0 votes
ctismer May 22, 2014

Same here.

Changing a good IDE to the common denominator was a very bad idea.

The tree view was most missing on Windows, and I switch often to my Mac just to have that.

Now I reverted to 1.8.1, hoping for a better update, or maybe looking for a new Application.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events