It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How do I get my master branch on the top of the list?

Me and my partner are working on a project for school and my sourcetree no longer letting me push anymore. I keep getting this error. "Updates were rejected because a pushed branch tip is behind its remote" My partners sourcetree has "master, origin/master, and orgin/HEAD all in one line at the top of his list. I have tried to merge that "master" line into my current branch but nothing happens. any help would be very appreciated. sourcetree.jpg

1 answer

0 votes
Mike Corsaro Atlassian Team Jul 30, 2018

Hello! It looks like you might be on a branch named "master" that's not the same as the master branch that exists on the remote server. That's pretty confusing!

To fix this: make sure you commit your changes, and then try and make a new branch (hit the "Branch" button). Give your branch a descriptive name, and then push that branch. This should make things a lot less confusing, and now you'll know which branch belongs to which person. Your partner should also now be able to see the new branch (they might need to Fetch first), and you should be able to check out their master branch (expand the remotes section in the sidebar and double click on master).

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Sourcetree

Sourcetree for Windows - CVE-2019-11582 - Remote Code Execution vulnerability

A vulnerability has been published today in regards to Sourcetree for Windows.  The goal of this article is to give you a summary of information we have gathered from Atlassian Community as a st...

4,895 views 0 12
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you