Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I get my master branch on the top of the list?

Kyle Shreve July 27, 2018

Me and my partner are working on a project for school and my sourcetree no longer letting me push anymore. I keep getting this error. "Updates were rejected because a pushed branch tip is behind its remote" My partners sourcetree has "master, origin/master, and orgin/HEAD all in one line at the top of his list. I have tried to merge that "master" line into my current branch but nothing happens. any help would be very appreciated. sourcetree.jpg

1 answer

0 votes
Mike Corsaro
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 30, 2018

Hello! It looks like you might be on a branch named "master" that's not the same as the master branch that exists on the remote server. That's pretty confusing!

To fix this: make sure you commit your changes, and then try and make a new branch (hit the "Branch" button). Give your branch a descriptive name, and then push that branch. This should make things a lot less confusing, and now you'll know which branch belongs to which person. Your partner should also now be able to see the new branch (they might need to Fetch first), and you should be able to check out their master branch (expand the remotes section in the sidebar and double click on master).

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events