How do I fully remove SourceTree so that I can do a "fresh" install?

lat9 July 5, 2017

I messed up my GitHub repository and just want to start over.  I'd had SourceTree 1.9 installed on Win 8.1, removed it via add/remove programs, deleted by messed up repository, removed the Atlassian program data.

Downloaded SourceTree 2.1.25 and, upon install, it still shows that messed up repository.  I also went through the registry, removing all references to either Atlassian or SourceTree.

What additional settings do I need to remove to start over with a fresh installation?

5 answers

1 accepted

24 votes
Answer accepted
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 6, 2017

Hi Cindy! Can you try the following steps:

1. Wipe SourceTree preferences.
  2. Uninstall SourceTree (if it shows on the App&Features list)
  3. Backup then delete the directory below before proceeding with next step
    • Navigate to C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Local and delete SourceTree & SourceTree-Settings folder
    • Navigate to C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Local\Atlassian and delete all SourceTree Files/Folder.
  4. Download SourceTree and install it. 

Let us know if this helped!

Cheers,

Ana

lat9 July 7, 2017

Thanks, Ana, that did the trick!

Like Rory Green likes this
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 10, 2017

Glad to hear that, Cindy!

igniz87 November 6, 2018

thanks, it's worked for me too

Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
November 13, 2018

:D 

tystahnke December 1, 2018

This helped me! I had issues connecting with any of my Bitbucket accounts from Sourcetree when trying to pull / fetch / clone. Looked at different forums for hours, but couldn't get it to work. Decided I would just reinstall source tree from scratch, which didn't work until I actually followed the above steps and cleared the source tree preferences. Thanks a lot!

rorisk March 19, 2019

Why after uninstalling you keep over 300MB on my HDD??

It is not really polite way how app should behave!

Like # people like this
Ke Wang April 15, 2019

I encountered the same problem but my sourcetree is installed on college own computer and my account is a network account. I can't find any of the files you suggested need deleting. Can anyone help me find all those files on a networked account? Or maybe is there another way to clean uninstall?

Egi August 9, 2019

Thanks Ana, this helped me a lot :-)

Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
August 16, 2019

So glad to hear that, @Egi
Thanks for letting us know :) 

Soumaya October 8, 2019

That not work for me :(

Like Andy Tang likes this
Niraj Kishore November 6, 2019

Thanks Ana,

It helped me.

Again when i reinstalled, system was showing already logged in with Account.
I think there is some files keeping information of logged in user after uninstall.

Thanks Again for your post.

Robert Grady November 12, 2019

I'm having this problem too.  It would be great if remove sourcetree did this automatically (as it should). 

Like # people like this
Niraj Kishore November 17, 2019

You are right @Robert Grady  

Dan Adamson November 19, 2019

Is there a way to completely uninstall?  This is poor.

I tried removing those folders but it still kept my accounts.  Any way to really remove them?   I have weird phantom accounts the latest version of sourcetree is using as default 'generic accounts' every time I restart it.   Are they in the registry?  Thanks!

Like # people like this
Robert Grady November 20, 2019

There's a known bug in Sourcetree regarding this, and Atlassian is not planning to fix it.

Even if you delete all accounts, the problem does not go away.

I have had luck by going to the repo settings (the gear icon), then under 'advanced', uncheck 'Use global user settings.'

Pm Verma January 18, 2020

Not helping at all!!!!

Like # people like this
Pramod Raj August 4, 2020

@Ana Retamal

Above mentioned solution was not working at all. I have deleted all the mentioned files, but still facing the issue. Not able to do the fresh install (Using 3.3.8 version).

Can you please help ? Its very urgent.

Thanks

Like # people like this
Pramod Raj August 5, 2020
  1. Uninstall SourceTree using Windows UnInstall program
  2. Backup then delete the directories below before proceeding with next step:
    • Navigate to C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Local and delete SourceTree folder (if any)
    • Navigate to C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Local\Atlassian and delete all SourceTree folders.
    • Navigate to C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Roaming\Atlassian and delete SourceTree* folder
  3. Download SourceTree and install it

This info got worked, issue got resolved.

Like # people like this
衡星 August 26, 2020

This really helps, I just miss the files in Roaming.

7 votes
Brian_Wu March 26, 2020

As of 03/26/2020 - To COMPLETELY uninstall & reinstall SourceTree v3.3.8 on Windows 10:

1. Uninstall SourceTree using Windows UnInstall program
  2. Backup then delete the directories below before proceeding with next step:
    • Navigate to C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Local and delete SourceTree folder (if any)
    • Navigate to C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Local\Atlassian and delete all SourceTree folders.
    • Navigate to C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Roaming\Atlassian and delete SourceTree* folder
  3. Download SourceTree and install it
LeandroCEO May 18, 2020

Thanks! @Brian_Wu  

Philip Hotte August 5, 2020

Thanks - I had the same problem and clearing the AppData\Roaming files solved it.

2 votes
DylanAlloy June 27, 2020

Why don't you alert the user of any of this?

why is installing completely opaque and shows nothing UX-related to the user?

UININSTALLING shows nothing to the user! 

Why do I have to delete a AppData/Local folder to actually reset the settings YOUR guys' code passively breaks while minimized?

How can this mature software backed by Atlassian be so horrendous?

Do you realize how simple it is to give this BASIC info to your users so they don't spend time chasing their tails?

Do your jobs. 

0 votes
Mukesh Kumar
Atlassian Team
December 21, 2023

Hi Users,

For complete uninstallation and fresh reinstall, please follow these steps:

• Uninstall Sourcetree using the Windows Uninstall program.
  • Delete the folders/files below before proceeding to the next step:
  • Navigate to C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Local and delete all Sourcetree folders and files (if any)
  • Navigate to C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Local\Atlassian and delete all Sourcetree folders and files (if any)
  • Navigate to C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Local\SourceTree-Settings and delete all Sourcetree folders and files (if any)
  • Navigate to C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Roaming\Atlassian and delete all Sourcetree folders and files (if any)
  • Download Sourcetree for Windows and install it.
0 votes
DylanAlloy June 27, 2020

Untitled.png

lol you guys are pathetic.

DylanAlloy June 27, 2020

Oh how neat, I got the "answerer" badge! LOL.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events