How do I fix this 'dangling' feature?

Deleted user December 1, 2015

Hi,

I am using the GitFlow, menus.  I started a feature, completed it, and then tried to end the feature in SourceTree.  This failed with an error.  The error was just some kind of permissions problem on files that should have been ignored in the first place.

I have now ignored the offending files, but I now don't have the option to finish the feature.  Worse, if I try a manual merge, I get the same error that caused the problem in the first place.

I have included an image of the current state of the branch tree.  Can anyone help me to tidy this up, please?

SourceTree.PNG

Kind wishes ~ Patrick

2 answers

0 votes
Deleted user December 1, 2015

Thank you for the answer, Seth.  It is currently greyed-out, but that could be because of my attempts to fix the problem.  Not used that button before. Always been scared of it.  I'll have to read the docs about it.

I think I have fixed my problem another way.  The actual error I was getting was a stat error (as discussed here stat-file-permission-denied).  It suggested that it could be a file-locking issue, so I closed Visual Studio and the error went away.  I was then able to finish the feature by doing the merges manually.  I'm pretty sure the project and even the history are how they should be.

Funny, even back in the days when I used SourceSafe (no longer around), which was  Microsoft product, I recall that the only really safe way to do large source control operations was to close Visual Studio first.

• Patrick

0 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 1, 2015

Try using the Discard button.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events