Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I do a full uninstall of SourceTree in windows 10

Deleted user May 17, 2016

How do I do a full uninstall of SourceTree in windows 10?

A simple uninstall through Control Panel leaves all the information I want to get rid off. When the program is reinstalled, all the bookmarks, repos, etc reappear.

As I am working on Windows 10, the location of the source tree files referred in other posts do not apply. 

3 answers

4 votes
B_Vaibhav January 3, 2019

If you unable to uninstall the SourceTree. Please follow the below steps it worked for me on windows 10.
1. From Control Panel >> Program and feature >> uninstall sourceTree.

2. Goto %localappdata%/Atlassian : clear the enitre directory

3. Go to %localappdata%/SourceTree : clear the entire directory

sahbibenayed September 20, 2019

Woks for me

thanks

Like Christopher Ruiter likes this
jasonhorsleyCS July 28, 2020

I found I had to remove the %appdata%/Atlassian folder as well.  That is the one in the 'Roaming' folder not just the 'Local' folder.

Like # people like this
Than Aung August 3, 2020

Definitely "Roaming/Atlassian" folder. I keep deleting the folders just under Local App and the sourcetree was stuck at installing.

ericwmartin August 18, 2020

Yes, deleting %appdata%/Atlassian folder is the only way to prevent sourcetree from remembering usernames and other info that remains after an uninstall. thanks

Praks September 16, 2020

@jasonhorsleyCS Your comment should be listed on the top. Thanks!

Like # people like this
1 vote
fgeg1234 September 13, 2020

1.i uninstall in software uninstall ->sourcetree 

2.delete c->user->Appdata->Local ->Atlassian and Sourcetree Folder

3.delete c->user->Appdata->Roaming->Atlassian

it works for me 2020/9/13

3.2.6 version

stmardiah December 22, 2020

It's work! Thanks

Like fgeg1234 likes this
fgeg1234 December 23, 2020

you're welcome

1 vote
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 18, 2016

Use the Control Panel's "Add/Remove Programs" tool, just like with any other legitimate software that you might install in Windows.

Deleted user May 18, 2016

No. A simple uninstall through Control Panel leaves all the information I want to get rid off. When the program is reinstalled, all the bookmarks, repos, etc reappear. As I am working on Windows 10, the location of the source tree files referred in other posts do not apply. The answer given by Arlassian is very disappointing. 

Like # people like this
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 18, 2016

I'm not Atlassian, I'm just another user trying to help. Maybe if you'd been more clear in your original question about what you mean by "full uninstall" my original answer could have been more helpful.

If you want the software uninstallation to delete your local repositories, I don't think that can happen. That's a significant amount of data destruction, and that data is completely legitimate without SourceTree. If you want the bookmark settings to be removed along with SourceTree, that's reasonable, but I'm not about to go uninstalling my own SourceTree to see if that happens.

Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 18, 2016

Fixed your original question for you.

larsendaniel April 12, 2017

I have the same problem.  I finally figured out that the uninstall deletes most of the things from %localappdata%/SourceTree, but doesn't delete anything out of %localappdata%/Atlassian.  If you remove that last folder, then the reinstall goes through the install wizard again instead of just magically reopening SourceTree

Like # people like this
neonwarge04 August 26, 2017

Alright I got it working, I used ccleaner. Uninstalling from control panel takes while. I used CCleaner to flush this software out. I was able to install the latest version now. 

Jokerminator February 1, 2018

I hate software from developers unable to create proper un-/installers!!! Shame on YOU!

Like # people like this
Javier Sivianes October 23, 2018

I am really really angry with Atlassian, uninstaller does not work as it must, login is shameful. It is incredible that sourcetree is working right in Mac Os X but it is annoying in windows. 

Like kyledelaney likes this
Joachim Michaelis November 7, 2018

I've just recreated this problem. Somehow SourceTree was calling an .exe (in my user folder btw!) file that was no longer there, so I uninstalled it. Then reinstalled it. But the problem persists, and I realized many of my settings were retained.

An uninstaller should by default uninstall. Offering to leave the user's settings behind is a good idea, but by default it should clean up after itself entirely. After all, that's usually the main reason someone uninstalls something: To get rid of everything.

Like kyledelaney likes this
creasys-gbuenrostro December 7, 2018

Atlassian is the worst software-services provider... Slow bitbucket and buggy and sometimes un usable sourcetree... My company is leaving atlassian for good.

Like # people like this
Kelly Woods August 29, 2020

Same issue here. I was trying to get rid of SourceTree from the "Uninstall or Change a Program" panel but ended up by leaving orphaned app data in

C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Atlassian 

I backed them up to my desktop just in case, but obviously you can delete these after if it is successful.

I followed this manual and finally get SourceTree fully uninstalled from my Windows 10.

• Make sure SourceTree is closed
  • Make sure the files are backed up in the following folders before removing the files
  • Remove files "bookmarks.xml", "opentabs.xml", "userhosts" in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Atlassian\SourceTree\
  • Remove file in
    C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Atlassian\SourceTree.exe<random_string>\<version_number>\user.config
  • Open SourceTree again to test if it worked or not.

Good luck~

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events