Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I configure sourcetree to work with Open SSH Aliases(or their Putty style equivalents)

Jonathan Beerhalter March 21, 2013

In our normal setup connecting to Gitolite, we use SSH aliases to prevent us from doing anything foolish. Then, if we need admin power we can use an admin alias. I'm having trouble getting source tree to work with this structure since it doesn't seem to look at the ~/.ssh/config file. Is there a corresponding Putty file?

For clarity, my ~/.ssh/config file looks like the following

Host gitAdmin

User git

IdentityFile ~/.ssh/id_dsa_admin

Hostname git

Host gitDev

User git

IdentityFile ~/.ssh/id_dsa

Hostname git

I got around the issue by creating new remotes for sourcetree to pull from, but that feel likes a bit of a workaround.

1 answer

0 votes
stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 21, 2013

If you need to use aliases with the PuTTY suite then you can do so by defining 'Saved Sessions' in the main PuTTY application itself. We don't actually include this in SourceTree because we only actually require plink (the terminal SSH transport) and Pageant (the agent), but you can download PuTTY.exe via the main site: http://www.putty.org/

Just download putty.exe, launch it, define some settings including the host etc then give it a name on the top-level 'Session' node and click Save to create a saved session. That name should be usable as an alias with plink too after that, which is what will be used for git SSH commands.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events