How do I configure Sourcetree to use UltraCompare for diff and merge on my mac

Mark McCurry December 14, 2012

Been using Sourcetree for my GIT repos because its SWEET! Recently picked up UltraCompare (part of UltraEdit) because I needed a good diff toll on the mac (and linux and win boxes). UC looks capable of doing diffs and merges, but I can't seem to get Sourcetree to use it. Are there instructions somewhere for setting it up? Thanks!

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
chuck bradford August 26, 2013

The updated command is now:

/Applications/UltraCompareX.app/Contents/MacOS/UltraCompareX

cheers

0 votes
KieranA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 16, 2012

Hi Mark,

SourceTree is able to do this, I've just had a bash myself doing this using UltraCompare. As is standard, UltraCompare is installed to /Applications/UltraCompare.app/ so what you want to do is to go into SourceTree's preferences and go to the "diff" tab. In here, change the "Visual Diff Tool" drop-down to "Other" then set the "Diff Command" to be /Applications/UltraCompare.app/Contents/MacOS/UltraCompare and then set the arguments to be $LOCAL $REMOTE (as shown in the screenshot). Then when you do a diff, UltraCompare will open instead. Below is a screenshot of my setup which I tested:

If you need any further help, just ask :)

(note: the diff options for UltraCompare are here: http://www.ultraedit.com/help/article/command-line-options-49.html)

KieranA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 16, 2012

You're welcome, thanks very much!

Mark McCurry December 16, 2012

Kieran,

Thank you! There it is. I tried UltraCompare, UltraCompare.app, and /Applications/UltraCompare.app. It never struck me to drill into the app package for the executable. Excellent sleuthing! I guess, SourceTree being a Mac app, I expected it to do some of that digging for us. ;o) If the author would come out with a Linux port, I'd bake him a cake! SourceTree seriously rocks. Now to chase down the UC command line for merge and conflict resolution using the link you provided. Thanks again!!

Mark

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events