How do I/Should I commit one set of changes to multiple branches?

Raymond DeGennaro January 27, 2015

I'm not sure the best way to handle this, but I think what I want to do is push one set of changes to multiple branches, or duplicate the most recent changes in multiple branches.

I have one project, that has three separate targets, that (currently) only differ in "branding" (icons, splash screens, messages, etc.) and version number.  I just made a large set of changes that only affected shared code, so I checked the changes into origin/master.  I'd like the same "snapshot" of code to be in each of the brand-specific branches.

• Can I copy the last commit to origin/master to each branded branch?
  • Is my only choice to check-out the code and commit to each branded branch?
  • Can I do this a better way?

I'd like to do this using SourceTree (Mac), but I can use the Bitbucket web interface, or raw git commands, if necessary.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 27, 2015

I'm not entirely sure if this will work with your branching strategy, but the ideal solution would be to merge master into each other branch.

If there are other changes to master that you don't want to propagate to the other branches, you can check out each other branch and "cherry-pick" the commit in question (in SourceTree, right-click the commit you want to cherry-pick). http://git-scm.com/docs/git-cherry-pick

Raymond DeGennaro February 5, 2015

Ah, didn't think of merging out of master. This will work because there's no unique code between the versions, right now.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events