Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I Add Permissions?

Stephen Boxerman February 7, 2017

Ok, I'm new to this, so I'm gona sound like and idiot.  I'm using UE4 and want to have multiple people work on the project without having to swap a external HHD.  I've got GitHub all set up with Source Tree, but now i don't know how to let others access the repo. HELP!!!!!!

1 answer

0 votes
Johannes Kilian
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 7, 2017

I think you should learn the basics of git first....

git itself does not have any user access control - therefore SourceTree does not have any user access control: basically everybody who has physical access to your should repository be able to clone it.

Now you can introduce some restrictions to the storage location of your repository: if it's locally stored you might have some restriction on file acces level (but this is not common with git AFAIK). That's where repository hosting sites enter the game: github or Bitbucket.org (to name 2 public gitrepository hosting services) do offer user access control. You cannot access the repositories there directly on tfilesystem level but you have to use a web-interface. Within the web-interface the user access control is implemented.

So to answer your question in short: You cannot use SourceTree to grant access on your Github hosted repository - you have to do this within the github-webpage. Your question is not a SourceTree question but a github question.

After setting the desired permissions on github, everbody with corresponding permissions can work with the repository (i.e. cloning using the github repository URL ...)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events