Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hosting account connects but pull doesnt work

bozmonster February 3, 2019

I'm using source tree 3.0.15

When I setup my authentication under options, it says my password authenticates correctly .

0cZtywn

However when I do a pull, i get the error below - I'm not sure what the problem is. 

2TI2GoE

I've reinstalled source tree, pointless because the settings are cached. I do not have this problem if I run Git from the command line. 

One thing worth noting is that, my username is like firstnamelastname however to log into bitbucket I use my email, since they changed it from usernames to emails.

In source tree it shows my username, however to log into the website I must use my email, I'm not sure whether this is the root of the problem.

Using Git from the command line, I don't get prompted at all, I guess there's some caching happening here too, not sure where it's getting the credentials from?

Here is my git configs

FvV9lZH

1 answer

0 votes
minnsey
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 4, 2019

Hi

I would check your Git version first.

Git uses the Git Credential Manager for Windows, GCM, to handle authentication. This will prompt the user for credentials, if they are good it will store them in the Windows Credential Manager and then re-use them in the future.

Sourcetree shares the credentials used to access REST resources, when you set up your account, with the GCM by writing them into the same location in the Windows Credential Manager. In that way Sourcetree and Git should share the same credentials.

However there are versions of the GCM that have bugs and have caused issues in the past.

Git 2.20.1 and it's associated GCM seem a good set, or alternatively using the Embedded Git with Sourcetree, but ensuring it is updating in the Tools/Options/Git tab.

Finally you can see what credentials are being used in the Windows Credential Manager by looking for entries  pre-fixed with 'git:'.

In your case I would ensure you are starting from a clear base by deleting all 'git:' and 'sourcetree:' prefixed entries from the Windows Credential Manager and then re-setting up your account.

bozmonster February 5, 2019

Thank you problem solved, it was using the embedded Git which was 2.1 version.

cleared git and source tree related entries in windows credential manager, then changed source tree to use system git

then it prompted me for login when i pulled and it worked

thanks so much

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events