Help : "Fatal: UriFormatException encountered." when trying to clone

Léa Duplouy July 20, 2017

My issue occurred when I tried to open my repo in SourceTree for the first time of the day (yesterday, everything was ok). It was impossible to open it (nothing happened when trying to). So I wanted to make a nice cleanup : I made a backup of my local repo, deleted the bookmark and tried to clone back the project.

As you can see in the title, I encountered a weird message : "Fatal: UriFormatException encountered." My URL is nothing special : https://myName@bitbucket.org/myTeam/myProject.git. Neither my name, my team or my project has any special characters : they all have only classical letters from 'a' to 'Z', no accent or whatever. I don't have any port in the URL either (when I googled the error message, I saw this could be a problem).

I tried to uninstall SourceTree and reinstall it, it did NOT work (still the same message). I tried to uninstall SourceTree and reinstall previous version, it did NOT work. I tried to clone the same project from my account but on my teammate's computer, and it DID work. But still, I can't have it on my computer, which is an issue.

I don't really know what to do next... Is there a way to fully uninstall SourceTree on my computer and delete all references ? I just made an uninstall from Control Panel but I don't know if it's enough.

Or is there any other solution ?

Thanks in advance

3 answers

0 votes
Sudharson.Sudalaimony@infosys.sce.com November 29, 2018

when setting the proxy in git make sure the username and password does not have any symbols. Clean password while setting proxy resolved the issue to me.

0 votes
John_Chesshir March 22, 2018

Guys, I hate to tell you this, but I think it wise to inform the thread.  It appears that this was purely a Git problem, not a windows one:  

https://superuser.com/questions/1114193/when-cloning-on-with-git-bash-on-windows-getting-fatal-uriformatexception-enco

Of course this link is to a post that was created over 11 months before this one.  I can only speculate that this may have been a Git version interaction bug.  If I'm right, it appears that github upgraded their Git server version the morning of July 20th to an incompatible version of Git that you had either installed before or with Source Tree.

Probably the only reason that Windows formatting fix worked was because after you finished, you went to the Git website and downloaded the latest version of Git, which happened to be compatible with the version github was using.

0 votes
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 21, 2017

Hi Léa, can you try uninstalling SourceTree following these steps:

1. Wipe SourceTree preferences
  2. Uninstall SourceTree.
  3. Backup then delete the directory below before proceeding with next step
    • Navigate to C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Local and delete SourceTree & SourceTree-Settings folder
    • Navigate to C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Local\Atlassian and delete all SourceTree Files/Folder.
  4. Download the latest SourceTree and install it. 

Let us know if this helped!

Cheers,

Ana

Léa Duplouy July 21, 2017

Thank you for your advice but unfortunately it didn't work.

alexandrekhalifa July 21, 2017

Hi, I'm Léa's teammate and I can confirm. We tried it twice, and we still have the same issue. Can we send you a log or anything to help you ?

If we don't have a solution quickly, I guess we're gonna need to format the computer...

Thanks for your help though.

Cheers.

Mats Widegren September 6, 2017

Hi, I have the same issue. Were you able to solve it?

alexandrekhalifa September 6, 2017

Unfortunately, the only way we could solve this was to actually format the computer and reinstall Windows. It worked, but as you can imagine, it has a few disadvantages...

Good luck with that !

Mats Widegren September 6, 2017

Jeez, that's crazy. Ok, thanks for your your response!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events