Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having trouble merging a master into my fork, please advise

Avrohom_Yisroel_Silver October 18, 2018

Warning: Brand new SourceTree user, and inexperienced GitHub user!

I forked someone else's repo on GitHub a few weeks ago, and have made some changes to my fork.

However, since then, commits have been made to the master repo, and I now want to pull those changes to my fork. However, I cant seem to work out how to do this.

I had a look at the docs, but what they show bears little relationship to what I see. Don't know if that's because I'm on Windows and that page mentions MacOS...

1.png

Anyway, I clicked on Working Copy, as that's my fork, which is behind the master,and then clicked the Merge button. This gave me something that looked like in the docs. However, the commit graph (which looked the same as the bit you can see above) only showed commits on the master repo up to the point where I last got a copy of the files. None of the commits since then show up.

I tried clicking the OK button to see if it would pull anything from the master, but nothing happened.

Anyone able to help me? I need to get my fork up to date with the commits that have been made to the master repo since I last got the files.

Thanks

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Avrohom_Yisroel_Silver October 22, 2018

Hello,

Thanks for the reply. It turned out that I hadn't added the master repository to SourceTree, so it could only see my fork on GitHub and my local copy. Once I added the master, I was able to grab the latest.

Thanks again

Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 23, 2018

Glad you figured it out! Have a great day :) 

Ana

0 votes
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 22, 2018

Hi Avrohom, welcome to the Community :)  

In this case you don't need to merge the branches, what you need to do is to pull the changes from the main branch to your fork. Have you tried that already? To do so:

1. Click on the "Pull" button on the toolbar. A Pull window should appear.
  2. Select the remote to pull from.
  3. Select the remote branch to pull changes from.
  4. Click "OK" to pull changes from your remote repository into your local working directory.

Let us know if this helped you!

Kind regards,

Ana

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events