Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HI, I'm having a problem creating a new repository. When I hit create this error pops up. pleaseHelp

Beasty1177 June 27, 2017

Screenshot 2017-06-26 13.17.08.pngScreenshot 2017-06-26 13.15.41.png

5 answers

2 votes
Glitchster August 30, 2017

Finally figured this one out... I gave up months ago my first go around, but gave this another go.  So, in windows, you make folders when you want to put stuff into it.  Sourcetree app does not allow you to create a repo in an existing folder - it has to make it itself.  Super counter-intuitive design by having a windows "browse" button to find your folder AND no instruction on what it's looking for on the page.  It's looking for a root folder AND you have to type in the final non-existant folder you want it to go into.  It's at least a 3 year old problem that hasn't been fixed according to the internet.  Made by programmers for programmers, not for the average weekend warrior.

0 votes
Bmore July 29, 2020

Can confirm this is still a problem.  After a couple days of struggling with Sourcetree crashes and no help from atlassian I got it figured out only to run into the same issue everyone on this thread is describing.  One road block after another.  I think as visionfactor mentioned above, the best course of action is to create the remote manually in bitbucket.  What a surprisingly bad piece of software.  Hopefully they get it figured out in the future.

0 votes
Glitchster March 26, 2020

This convoluted source control is the reason I stopped developing altogether.  Good luck to the people that spend hours and days figuring out the logic behind something that should be straight forward and simple comparatively.

0 votes
visionfactor November 25, 2018

Hello, I am having this exact same problem. Yes I have checked that the directory is empty, I have deleted the directory and created a new empty one with all different names at least three times. 

I have also tried the method above of using an empty root folder and letting source tree create another folder within that folder but still I get the same error regardless.

How can I simply create a new repository from source tree by clicking on the "Create" button and filling in the details below the heading "Create a repository"? This should be very straightforward.

I am using Source Tree Version 2.11.1.0 with Windows.

Please help.

visionfactor November 25, 2018

Ok further to the above I have discovered a little more information.

So if I uncheck "Create Repository On Account" the error changes from red to blue and it now asks if I wish to continue and create a repository in this folder. If I click yes it works. I have tested this without "Create Repository On Account" checked an it works even if the folder isn't empty in this case.

This certainly seems like a bug. 

So to clarify my question, how can I simply create a new repository from source tree by clicking on the "Create" button and filling in the details below the heading "Create a repository" and also use the "Create Repository On Account" feature at the same time?

Yes I have remote access all set up and working.

Like # people like this
stabbedbyapanda March 17, 2019

holy crap it works, you can not make a repo if the folder already had files in it, if your attaching it to an account but can do so if you do not attach an account. 
Holy crap thats backwards logic. Now I remember why I stopped using bitbucket.
@Ana Retamal 

Like # people like this
Lina_Wang March 24, 2020

Same question here as @visionfactor  Can anyone provide the answer? How to create a repo both locally and remotely at the same time as on Mac system?

visionfactor March 24, 2020

I have been working around this issue for years. I create the remote manually in bitbucket.

Looking forward to hear if anyone has a solution to this issue.

0 votes
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 28, 2017

Hi Jerry! Have you checked if that directory it's empty? You won't be able to clone a repo if the destination path already contains some data. Alternatively, you can create a new folder and try to clone it there. Can you let us know if this worked for you? 

If you're still having trouble, please remember to provide the SourceTree version and OS you're using.

Best regards,

Ana

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events