[HELP REQUEST] FATAL ERROR: Network error: Software caused connection abort

Hello.

I need to kindly ask you for help, unfortunately...

I am struggling with some git/sourcetree fatal error, which stops me from cloning my repository.

I had to delete my local repository files and re-do the clone ( before that everything was working fine ), but now I cannot, because the download/clone process crashes after approx 1,5hour, that's the fifth time in row, when it happens, I don't really know what to do...  The repository size is approx 5,1gb.

Please please help me, try to use simple words, since I am not really into programming.

Thank you in advance

<ERROR MESSAGE>

git -c diff.mnemonicprefix=false -c core.quotepath=false clone --recursive ssh://git_fatdragondev@fatdragondev.git.cloudforge.com/new_rivenlands.git W:\repo_newrivenlands
Cloning into 'W:\repo_newrivenlands'...

FATAL ERROR: Network error: Software caused connection abort

fatal: early EOF

fatal: The remote end hung up unexpectedly
fatal: index-pack failed

Completed with errors, see above.

2 answers

This is caused by a network glitch/timeout between you and the server. Unfortunately, the Git cloning process has no tolerance for this at all.

You can try any combination of these:

• Retry in another place / on another computer with higher bandwidth / lower latency
  • Keep retrying until it succeeds once
  • If there is an existing clone anywhere where you can access it (including someone else's computer), copy the whole folder from there (edit the stored credentials/clone URL, if necessary), switch to the branch you want to work on and pull.

Hello. Unfortunately any of your solutions did not wirk, still in need for help.

There is nothing else you can do. You need to somehow acquire a valid clone to work with. Which of these have you actually tried? Do you have access to any clone of this repo on anybody's computer that you could copy?

If you can't change anything on your end (see the answer by Balazs), you might try contacting the support at cloudforge.com. There is at least a possibility that the problem is not in the network connection, but on their side (they are the "remote end").

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Brian Ganninger
Published Jan 23, 2018 in Sourcetree

Tip from the team: workflow and keyboard shortcuts

Supported Platforms macOS Sourcetree has a lot to offer and, like many developer tools, finding and using it all can be a challenge, especially for a new user. Everyone might not love ...

234 views 0 3
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot