Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Git Bitbucket Credential Manager for Windows periodically pops up.

Stephen Davis February 1, 2018

Periodically (every few minutes) the credential manager for Bitbucket/Atlassian shows up when I am running Sourcetree. I can cancel the popup window and go to my authentication options in Sourcetree. I have three accounts connected: two GitHub and one Bitbucket. I use OAuth on all three accounts, but it seems the authentication for Bitbucket expires and I must go through the process of refreshing the token. Neither GitHub authentication tokens expire.

I can refresh my Bitbucket account without any issues, but then it will expire and I will get the credential manager popup within minutes.

1 answer

0 votes
minnsey
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 2, 2018

Hi

The Bitbucket access_tokens do expire after 1 hour, GitHub last 1 year. However the Git Credential Manager should be storing a refresh_token which will allow it to automatically get a new access_token for Bitbucket.

Because Bitbucket OAuth support was only added to the Git Credential Manager (GCM) from version 1.10+ I have experienced similar issues where, for example I have files from a Btbucket repository open in Visual Studio Code that is running an older version of Git/GCM that does not understand about refresh_tokens, it can then end up effectively invalidating and wiping the refresh_token, causing the 'good' GCM to have to re-authenticate.

I would double check you are running a consistent Git environment, with Git >= 2.15

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events