Getting some output for everything I try to do and nothing works. What does this output mean and how do I fix it?

Michael Agreda February 22, 2016

So I'm getting this output git -c diff.mnemonicprefix=false -c core.quotepath=false fetch origin in sourcetree for when i try to clone a repo, when i try to push, when i try to pull, when i try to fetch and I have no idea what it means or how i can fix it. I'm not even sure what other info to tell you to try to help.  I've been stuck on this for like 3 days now so any help would be amazing. One thing to add is that i got this computer from someone who left a few weeks ago and the pushes look like they end when he left when i look at he panel showing what everyone has pushed. So that is really messed up and I'm guessing related to my other problems.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 22, 2016

That output is just showing the command that SourceTree is running. It can be abbreviated to "git fetch".

Is there any other output? Does the command complete successfully? There is an option in SourceTree to always show output, so maybe your predecessor had that option turned on.

There is no other output and the command never finishes for anything. It just keeps running forever. I selected show full output so I could see why it was getting stuck forever but i guess if that output means it is running then it's not very helpful sad. Any ideas why it would be running forever? Spent 30 minutes doing a fetch and an hour doing a push that usually takes seconds.

Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 22, 2016

Hard to be sure with no other output. If you open the terminal and run a git fetch command, what happens?

Sorry, I haven't used the terminal before. How do i run a git fetch command?

I think i managed to figure out the git fetch command if it is just "get fetch <url for the repo>".

That got me this output 

remote: Counting objects: 157, done.
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (95/95), done.
a 61)
Receiving objects: 100% (157/157), 30.52 KiB | 0 bytes/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (88/88), completed with 19 local objects.
From <url for repo was here>
* branch HEAD -> FETCH_HEAD

oh meant to type git up there in that fetch command

Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 22, 2016

Yeah, that's it. Looks like command line works fine, so may be a SourceTree bug. Try one more time in the terminal, but use "git -c diff.mnemonicprefix=false -c core.quotepath=false fetch origin"

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events