Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Get all files for one branch to my working branch.

Hui Zhao July 23, 2015

My current branch is "feature\COMS-260". In the remote there is one branch "hotfix/4.6.7". For some reason, my branch code is mess up.

I want to use all files in branch "hotfix/4.6.7" to overwrite my local branch "feature\COMS-260".

How to do it?  I need Git commands or Sourcetree details.

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Johannes Kilian
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 26, 2015

Your description does not give all needed information - as Seth asked, it's crucial whether some of your erroneous files from branch "feature\COMS-260" are already pushed to your remote repository and if someone else is tracking branch "feature\COMS-260" in this case.

Also the information is missing whether some commits on your branch "feature\COMS-260" should be preserved, or whether all commits on branch "feature\COMS-260" are a mess (and maybe deleted therefore).

I'll try to describe the solutions for the two thinkable situations (assuming some of your commits on branch "feature\COMS-260" should be preserved):

******* To be on the safe side, make a backup of your local repository in case of some failure ...*******

Case 1: erroneous files already pushed to branch "feature\COMS-260"

1. being on branch "feature\COMS-260", do a "git pull" to be sure you are in sync with the remote repository
  2. identify the commit-ids of the commits containing the erroneous files
  3. do a "git revert ...." on those files to revert the erroneous commits
  4. this will lead to new commits - removing the changes of the used commits
  5. do a git push
  6. -> Now your erroneous commits are undone - your messed commits are still available, but there are also reverting commits, undoing this mess
  7. merge the changes from  branch "hotfix/4.6.7" to "feature\COMS-260"
  8. you're done a can start reimplementing your messed up branch code ...

Case 2: erroneous files NOT already pushed to branch "feature\COMS-260"

• identify the last non messed up commit on your branch "feature\COMS-260"
  • CAVEAT: this commit-id MUST NOT be already pushed to your remote repository
  • being on branch "feature\COMS-260", do  a git reset --HARD commitId"
  •   -> your messed up commits are removed from repository (not visible anymore)
  • do a git pull to be sure to have all recent changes from remote
  • merge the changes from  branch "hotfix/4.6.7" to "feature\COMS-260"
  • you're done a can start reimplementing your messed up branch code ...
0 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 24, 2015

That is one solution. If anyone else is tracking feature/COMS-260, they'll have some headaches.

0 votes
Hui Zhao July 24, 2015

Yes, it has been to the remote. Nobody use it but me. I try to use the command "git reset --HARD commitId". commitid is for hotfix/4.6.7. Not sure if it is right.

0 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 24, 2015

Has feature/COMS-260 been pushed to any remotes? If so, do you know whether any other developers have used it?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events