Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Feature Request] Smarter push/pull dialog, like MacHG

Jon Hart October 20, 2011

Before sourcetree I was using machg. The feature I miss most is the 'smart' push/pull dialog. MacHg would detect which repos in your 'bookmarks' were related to the one you were operating on and make those available in the push/pull dropdown.

In the context of git it would be nice if sourcetree would automatically add and remove remotes as you manage bookmark entries, plus expose a way to do it manually.

When choosing a custom repo the text input field is not big enough, kiln urls are all much longer than the space provided, so it isnt easy to see what the custom repo is.

Make the custom field the full width of the dialog.

Make the push/pull dialog resizeable.

Perhaps an option to add custom repos to the remote repos?

Only select the current branch by default (GIT) when pushing.

Remember custom repo urls and default to the last repo used.

Remember the state of the advanced section for hg pull.

Remember the branch selected for hg push.

HG pull does not correctly choose the right revision if the revision input field is not defocused before clicking ok.

The branch drop down in HG Pull does not limit the pull to only that branch, it is not clear how it relates to hg. Putting the branch name in the revision text field works (as long as it is defocused).

1 answer

0 votes
stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 20, 2011

Honestly, I don't like the approach of auto-detecting related local repositories, I think it makes the list overly cluttered by default. I have many cases where I have multiple clones in different locations (usually for different branches or forks), and I like to keep my remotes lists clean, showing only the items I specifically want to show up in each one. For example I don't want to accidentally be able to select the real upstream or a local clone when I'm working on an experimental fork, that would be disastrous. It's very easy to add remotes to your list in Settings, and being explicit is, IMO, better.

The 'Custom' option is really only there for one-off pushes / pulls. If you use the same one more than once, you should add it to your remotes in Settings.

The pull/push dialogs will be getting some improvements in future, particularly in Mercurial. I'd like to display the full detail of the incoming changes for example instead of just the hg incoming output. The issues you mention here with formatting will be addressed then.

HG pull does not correctly choose the right revision if the revision input field is not defocused before clicking ok.

I'll fix that.

The branch drop down in HG Pull does not limit the pull to only that branch, it is not clear how it relates to hg. Putting the branch name in the revision text field works (as long as it is defocused).

This simply adds the "-b branch" option to "hg pull" and behaves exactly as documented there.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events