Extend file log to all include all history

Robert Altman September 4, 2012

When viewing a revision in SourceTree, it is possible to right-click on a specific file and view the change log for just that file; however, this log is limited to no later than the revision where you right-clicked.

How is it possible to extend the file log to all future revisions (of that file), so you can see all changes, not just those before that point in time?

Thanks!

1 answer

0 votes
stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 4, 2012

The reason it's done that way is that the file-specific log is currently just linear (no graph, just a simple history) to show how the file got into that state. If in the future the history diverged into multiple branches that wouldn't work. For simplicity the file history was kept to just 'how did I get here'.

An alternative is to use the File Status view (Cmd-1), switch to 'Show All' and start typing the name of the file in the search to find it quickly, then do Log Selected from there, which will give you all the history to the current day.

Martin Fowler April 29, 2014

I get irritated by this regularly too, and have a UX suggestion. How about showing all the commits on this file that are ancestors of head? That way you'd have a linear history and I think that's what I usually want.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events