Equivalent to svn's "revert changes from this revision" on single file

James Ford January 27, 2015

Your version control history situation:

• Commit 1 : changed misc stuff
  • Commit 2 : changed foo.cs and bar.cs
  • Commit 3 : change misc stuff
  • Commit 4 : changed foo.cs

Your goal is to undo the changes to file foo.cs done at commit 2.

In (tortoise) svn this would be done like so...

• Right click foo.cs, choose Show Log
  • Log Browser window appears showing commit history filtered to only contain commits which modified the file foo.cs (aside: SourceTree also lakes a convenient way to show a sequential log of changes which affect a path within a repo).
  • Selecting commit 2 shows all files changed in the lower window
  • Right clicking on foo.cs in the bottom window shows context option 'revert changes from this revision'.

Note that this is distinctly different from right clicking on the entire commit within the upper window and choosing the same option 'revert changes from this revision' as one will revert all files and the other only the currently selected files.

SourceTree / Git appears to call this similar feature a 'reverse commit'.

However it only shows this as a context menu option for COMMITS. What I want is the ability to reverse commit the currently selected file(s) in the lower window (when a commit is selected in the upper window).

2 answers

0 votes
James Ford January 27, 2015

Thanks, that appears to be designed to do what I want. Although it actually showed me a dialog box saying it failed for unknown reasons in this particular case... I just manually deleted the method I had added.. really it was just adding a single new method, it shouldn't have been any sort of conflict to revert it, and even if it was it should have allowed me to resolve it as a conflict and not just done nothing...

0 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 27, 2015

In the diff panel when viewing the commit, you can reverse individual hunks from files, or hit the "..." in the upper right of the diff panel to reverse all changes in a file.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events