Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does SourceTree has a feature to fast-forward branch that is not checked out?

n99 November 4, 2014

The "Merge {branch} into current branch" menu can just fast-forward the checked-out branch. Can I fast-forward another branch without checking it out in SourceTree?

----

I can no longer post comments now (not enough rep):

@Seth Foss:

The same think is with "Reset current branch to this commit" menu item (for instance with mode Hard). Issue here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/SRCTREEWIN-2503

1 answer

0 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 5, 2014

You cannot do that in SourceTree, and I don't think Git allows it either (which would explain why SourceTree doesn't).

n99 November 5, 2014
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 5, 2014

Interesting. However, given the safety concerns mentioned in that answer, it is unlikely many Git UIs will support it. If you like, you can create a feature request at jira.atlassian.com.

Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 5, 2014

The command may not lose commits, but they may not be findable in the UI, so they would seem "lost" to a large number of UI users who are completelyintimidated by the terminal. In any case, I have no part in Atlassian design decisions - I'm just a user. Submit a feature request and see if anything comes of it.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events