Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disappointment...

Arno H November 6, 2014

This is not so much a question, as a statement: I like Atlassian products and gave SourceTree a try today (fresh download, Windows 7). I use it to access a Stash repository over https or browse a local repository (remote is also accessed via https).

Problems I ran across:

• Terminal button does not open a terminal
  • Fetch does not work (apparently it does not realize that it needs a password)
  • Browse hosted repos: takes ages to realize that it does not have the correct credentials, but gives me no way to enter them
  • Out of curiosity tried "Interactive rebase". Got error message: command "C:\Program Files (x86)\Atlassian\SourceTree\stree_gri" not found, but the file is exactly in this location
  • Got it to accept my credentials for Stash, but a following CLONE never finished.
  • Although I instruct it to save and remember my credentials, after a restart the credentials are gone.
  • After cancelling fetch & clone commands, orphaned git, git-remote-https and other processes remain there forever

I'm unaware of any problems or special features my PC setup could cause - just a stock Win7 inside a company domain, git works from commandline etc. I did not expect these kind of problems with SourceTree. Quite a disappointment. I'm giving up on it.

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 6, 2014

Sounds like you may have some environment variables that are incompatible. The path for the "not found" command probably requires ".exe" on the end.

Also check to make sure your GIT_SSH environment variable points to a valid executable. SourceTree should come with a plink.exe file that should do the trick.

0 votes
oferst24 July 24, 2016

since I'm experiencing the same problems, and also have cygwin installed, can you possibly write what should I look for in the environment variables ? 

Arno H July 26, 2016

I'm unable to give you detailed advice: I switched computer's in the mean time and have another setup now. As far as I recall, you should check the global path settings on your machine: if Cygwin is before your "regular" Windows git executable, then this causes problems. You could also try e.g. starting SourceTree from within a console which has a "clean" environment which has no reference to Cygwin.

0 votes
Arno H November 29, 2014

Seth, thanks for the hint. You are right: it was an environment variable problem: SourceTree was confused by my Cygwin installation (and the paths and variables set there.) Now SourceTree is working as advertized smile

It would've saved me some hours, if SourceTree gave me some kind of hint about its problems. All I got was cryptic error messages...

Thanks again!

0 votes
Adrian Moerchen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 6, 2014

Sorry to hear that. I don't have any (serious) problems with SourceTree and it totally replaced TortoiseGit for me.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events