Disable auto-replaces spaces with dashes

beaurepair June 22, 2017

SourceTree 2.3.5 for mac has added auto replacing of spaces with hyphens in branch names.

Is there any way to disable this 'functionality'?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 27, 2017

Hi Beau, the developers replied and told me it's expected: BbC's REST API has rules when creating repos or branches and has a limitation around spaces so we automatically replace them now. 

Replacing spaces with dashes was also a much requested feature. If you'd like to change this, you can submit a Feature request at jira.atlassian.com by clicking the Create button.

Hope this helps!

Ana

0 votes
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 23, 2017

Hi Beau, currently it's not possible to disable that functionality. Branches can not contain spaces (as per the official git documentation), in previous SourceTree versions you'd get an error if you tried to do create a branch with a space on it and the branch would not be created.

Hope this helps!

Ana 

beaurepair June 23, 2017

This is for Mercurial, not git, and was only introduced in the latest release (2.3.5 for Mac).

We've been using branch names with spaces for ever with no issues.

Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
June 26, 2017

Hi Beau, thanks for clarifying. You didn't specify which DVCS were you using and I assumed it was Git. Regarding Mercurial, I've contacted the developers to ask them if this new behavior is expected to happen with Hg as well or was intended only for Git, I'll let you know once I get a response. 

Cheers!

Ana

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events