Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diff stopped working on .pbxproj files

Christopher Pickslay May 17, 2013

I used to always see diffs in SourceTree of my .pbxproj. As of about a month ago, I see "diff suppressed". This happens consistently across Xcode projects. I do not have any files set to binary in a .gitattributes file, and `git diff` on the command line shows me the diff. How can I troubleshoot this problem? It's a pain to use an external diff, as sometimes I want to be able to stage or discard lines or hunks.

I'm running Xcode 4.6.2 and SourceTree 1.5.6.

2 answers

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 19, 2013

Open up Preferences, go to the Diff tab and check out the suppression options there - to keep performance snappy we have options to suppress interactive diffs when files get to a certain size, or certain types of file (wildcard matches). You can tailor those to your needs.

Christopher Pickslay May 19, 2013

Thanks Steve. I did have *.pbxproj in thos settings, but I've removed it and I still see the same thing. I tried quitting and re-starting SourceTree, making more changes to the project file, and clicking View->Refresh in SourceTree, all to no avail.

stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 19, 2013

Is it possible the *.pbxproj has now exceeded 1MB? I sort of doubt it, but that's the only thing I can think of.

Christopher Pickslay May 19, 2013

Yes, that was it. Thanks! Updated the size limit to 2,048kb and I'm back in business. For some reason it didn't even occur to me to check the size.

1 vote
Quintin Willison February 19, 2014

Thanks, both. This has solved the problem for me.

For the record the project file for one of our projects is currently tipping the scales at just over 1.2MB in size. The main reason for this is that we've got a reasonably large number of targets (i.e. added files soon increase bloat if they're members of all targets).

I wonder whether you might consider, in future:

1. Increasing this limit by default (modern hardware will cope).
  2. Display a more helpful message up front in your UI when refusing to present the internal diff viewer - e.g. "Files size exceeds Internal diff view size limit of 1,024 KB. This limit can be changed in Preferences.".
Alex Pasternak July 11, 2016

Yes, a better message would certainly be welcome. I was banging my head on what I thought was a small XML file, but the diff was being prevented by file size as well. Why 1MB only?!

Andreas Petrov February 9, 2017

Stumbled into this problem now. Still had to resort to online search to understand the problem, and it's Feb. 2017

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events