Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delete a commit

Viktor Iwan December 30, 2014

Hello,

I'm fairly new to git, at the moment i'm working with sourcetree. i just do a commit and then i found out there are few mis-typo on several files. so i make another commit for 'super' minor adjustment. I would like to know if i can 'delete' my previous commit ? how to do that ?

Thanks

1 answer

1 vote
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 30, 2014

Git is great for being able to rewrite the commit history. However, you should not modify commits that have been pushed to a remote unless you are an expert with git.

Assuming the commit in question has NOT been pushed, when you make the second commit (to fix the first), open the commit options and select "Amend latest commit".

If you need to make modifications to your history farther back then the latest commit, you can do a mixed reset (right click the commit you want to go back to), and then re-commit the files/chunks you need. There is also an interactive rebase feature that would be worth researching that might be safer, but I haven't used it.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events