Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom "Repository action" fails due to "could not read Password ... Device not configured"

farmerpaul March 4, 2013

I have set up a few Custom Actions in SourceTree, and they have all worked fine for me. For instance, I have some custom cherry-pick commands that I use from time to time:

• Name: Cherry Pick (mainline=1)
    Script to run: /Applications/SourceTree.app/Contents/Resources/git_local/bin/git
    Parameters: cherry-pick $SHA -m 1
  • Name: Cherry Pick (mainline=2)
    Script to run: /Applications/SourceTree.app/Contents/Resources/git_local/bin/git
    Parameters: cherry-pick $SHA -m 2
  • Name: Cherry Pick (no commit)
    Parameters: cherry-pick -n $SHA

However, I just created a new Custom Action that operates on the repository in general (not on a specific commit) and I just can't get it to work. Here is its description:

• Name: Push (force)
    Parameters: push --force

Each time I attempt to execute this Custom Action, I get this error:

git push --force
could not read Password for 'https://farmerpaul@github.com': Device not configured
Completed with errors, see above

Does anyone have any idea why there is this authentication error when I try to simply to do a "git push --force" via a Custom Action?

5 answers

0 votes
farmerpaul March 4, 2013

Thanks for checking into it. I don't really care which protocol I use, so long as it's easy enough to set up. You've made me such a sucker for GUIs since SourceTree; the less I have to set up via the command line, the better!

0 votes
KieranA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 4, 2013

It's worth trying SSH (although requires a bit of setting up). We've got a guide here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/BITBUCKET/Using+the+SSH+protocol+with+Bitbucket

I'll still look into this HTTPS issue in the meantime, but I suspect using SSH in your case will resolve the issue.

0 votes
KieranA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 4, 2013

Well, this is a known error, and the answer is to use SSH instead of HTTPS, but that's not satisfactory. I'll take a deeper look and see what's going on here.

0 votes
farmerpaul March 4, 2013

Yup, that's working fine, but only if I use /usr/bin/git (which is the default). If I try to use /Applications/SourceTree.app/Contents/Resources/git_local/bin/git to do a push --force, it fails with a slightly different error:

fatal: Unable to find remote helper for 'https'

But it seems to fail with the former error in SourceTree, regardless of which git binary I choose for the Custom Action.

0 votes
KieranA
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 4, 2013

This might be a silly question, but can you do a git push --force outside of this custom action generally?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events