Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect SourceTree to VPS using SSH

apostolos_tovletoglou February 3, 2016

Hi, I have a VPS that I connect & work over SSH. In this server I have a repository, cloned from GitHub.
How I can connect with SourceTree on this machine, locate the git project and then work with SourceTree?

Many thanks,
Apostolos 

4 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 3, 2016

SourceTree can not manage a repository over ssh.

The easiest way to manage a remote repo over ssh is to use the command line git tool (connect via SSH, then use git commands).

If you need a GUI, you can clone the repo locally, or install sourcetree remotely, or try to find another tool.

Hi @Seth, thanks for the reply. Currently I work with putty + git commands but after I tried the SourceTree I become addicted (lazy addicted)!

0 votes

Hi @Tim Crall, my workflow does not involve anything local except tools (IDEs, DB managers, etc.) The projects are on the remote server the tools work over SSH. It's a popular approach these days for web dev and there are many tools that direct you this way, like Vagrant (local VM but you work over SSH).
It will be very nice to see a feature like this smile

0 votes
rrudnicki
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 3, 2016

Hi Apostolos, 

If you add a remote repo on your SourceTree should work, and you could work by command line accessing SourceTree Terminal. 

Please take a look on these links:

http://byteblink.com/blog/2013/10/26/setting-up-git-with-sourcetree-and-a-remote-dreamhost-repository-on-mac-osx-part-2

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/272321/sourcetree-how-do-i-connect-a-local-clone-with-a-remote-repo-on-stash-with-ssh

Cheers, 
Renato 

Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 3, 2016

That allows him to work locally, but he can't use sourcetree or the local terminal to make his remote interact with its remote.

0 votes
Tim Crall
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 3, 2016

I've heard a lot of people having problems trying to use SourceTree with repos on network mounted drives - it's not possible to just clone your repo to your workstation and work on it there?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events