Cloning Git Repository fails: An error occured while checking the destination directory: Unknown error

William Wagoner September 19, 2015

I'm using version 1.6.20.0 of Windows SourceTree running under Win7.  The destination directory is a SAMBA file share from an Oracle Unbreakable Linix (RHEL 6) server which is empty and to which I have R/W access.

I tried mapping a drive letter to the share with the same result.  I can clone to Windows-based file shares with no problem.  The SAMBA config for the directory is as follows

[cw-design]
comment = R/W HTML/PHP
path = /var/www/apps/cw-design
create mask = 0664
directory mask = 0775
writeable = yes
browseable = yes
valid users = <ACTIVE DIRECTORY GROUP OF WHICH I AM A MEMBER>
#force group = apache
force group = <A GROUP WE USE FOR DEPLOYMENT OF WEB FILES>
force user = <A USER WE USE FOR DEPLOYMENT OF WEB FILES>
guest ok = no

Any ideas as to why I can't clone from Windows SourceTree to a SMB share on Linux?

1 answer

0 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 21, 2015

SourceTree (and Git in general) don't work reliably when trying to use a network share repository as local.

Despite whether what you are trying to do is a valid use case for a network-share repository, the people who make decisions about Git would say "just clone it to both the local drive and server, and push/pull as necessary."

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events