Clone with --bare option

Meldon Pettitt January 6, 2017

I'm able to clone a repository using SourceTree, but I'm not seeing a cloning option in the GUI to clone with the --bare option.  

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 6, 2017

That's because there's not one.

A bare repository doesn't have a working copy, which is not typically what people want in a user-focused repository, seeing as it makes most of the GUI operations pointless (Commit, Checkout, Merge, Pull, for example).

Furthermore, if you know enough about what you're doing to know what --bare means, then you know enough to launch the terminal and write the clone command yourself. There are enough "computer illiterate" SourceTree users that providing a bare option in the GUI would be a BAD idea. ("I just cloned my repository, but I only have a .git folder!! Where are my files?!?! UNINSTALL!!!111") Those folks aren't going to "accidentally" go to the command line and "accidentally" add --bare to a valid clone command.

Meldon Pettitt January 6, 2017

I see.   Thanks for the quick answer.    Well, I won't waste your time with an explanation as to why I want to create a bare repository.  It's not important as I understand what you're saying from a UI design standpoint.   On the other hand a simple ability to add git options (for those with such understanding) to a clone command would've made the question unnecessary.

Yes, I can do it with the command line interface.  Unfortunately, I'm being greeted with authentication request when my key has no password.   Guess I need to resolve that issue first.

Thanks again, Seth.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events