Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot see color branches in log mode (sourcetree)

Newbie June 20, 2013

Newbie question. I have been using xCode5 and decided to move away from xcode git and to SourceTree. I am keeping my code local on my machine but would like to get into the git flow habit. I opened Sourcetree and imported my project. All looks good. I did a final commit and initialized GitFlow. But as I move from Master branch to Development Branch to creating Feature Branches, I see the branch names in the log, but I do not see the parallel gitflow lines. Is that because my project is local and I am not doing any Pull/Push? or am I missing a setting? Thanks

1 answer

1 vote
KieranA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 20, 2013

Hi Khaled,

One thing this could be is that because perhaps you're the only developer and you're moving entirely in a sequential manner meaning Git may do a fast-forward merge (this is by default). An easy way to understand this is from the Git config docs:

By default, Git does not create an extra merge commit when merging a commit that is a descendant of the current commit

This may be true in your case. Additionally, in SourceTree your log view may have certain options set causing your history to look different than expected. Just above the graph there are filters (drop down lists). Perhaps make sure the first one is set to "All Branches" and see what that yields?

Have a play around with the log filters and consider that all of your branching and merging may have been fast-forward merges.

Hope that helps

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events