Cannot re-install SourceTree

Sunny Howe November 24, 2015

I tried to remove source tree because it was extremely slow.  I think in order to copy files onto my dev environment, I actually checked them out causing it to be slow.

None the less, now I cannot reinstall.  It keeps saying there is a newer version installed and will not install.

I rebooted in safe mode and searched for files and removed them all, but still cannot install.

The set up wizard says "SourceTree setup ended prematurely because of an error.  Your system has not been modified.  To install this program at a later time, please run the installation again.  Click the Finish button to exit the Setup Wizard."

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Sunny

5 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 1, 2015

In Windows, removing files is rarely a safe way to uninstall a program. Installers will often register the application other places in the OS (like the registry). The sourcetree installer may be checking that, and trying to enter some sort of update mode, which fails when it can't find files.

I don't think I can help much here besides identifying the problem. Maybe SourceTree still shows up in the add/remove programs dialog?

0 votes
IgorYastrebov March 24, 2016

In many cases, the problem is with MSI registry - corrupted reg.

Here is the only tool can fix corrupted MSI registry: https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/mats/program_install_and_uninstall/en

0 votes
Sunny Howe December 1, 2015

Hi Seth, That worked. I had done an uninstall, but then in retrying, I guess it had placed itself back in there. I uninstalled from control panel and was able to do a fresh install. Thanks bunches. Sunny

0 votes
Sunny Howe November 30, 2015

OS is windows 8, I did an uninstall, and an reinstall and it was still very slow. So then I started in safe mode and did a search on all source tree files and removed them, Now I can no longer do an install.

0 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 27, 2015

How did you remove SourceTree? What OS are you using?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events