Cannot change bitbucket password without breaking SourceTree

fairflow December 21, 2017

I've seen recent posts on related issues but mine seems to relate solely to login via SourceTree on the Mac.  I have version 2.6.3 (134).

I changed my password on bitbucket.  That worked fine.  But then I could no longer authenticate myself on SourceTree so pushes and pulls all failed. Naturally I quit and restarted SourceTree and checked I could login to bitbucket ok with my new password.

I tried resetting the password in SourceTree -> Preferences -> Accounts but I needed to use my username and not email address (although login to bitbucket is now with email address); then when I changed it to my new password I was not authenticated; the password was changed but then not accepted.

Luckily I did manage to find my old password and reset it in bitbucket and then changed it back in SourceTree (via Preferences -> Accounts) and all is well again.

But if I ever do lose my password I can see the risk of blocking access to all  my repositories.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Manju
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 21, 2017

You can use OAuth in Sourcetree, which will allow you to login to Bitbucket just the way you do on a browser and fetch your username and path tokens. 

You don't have to be worried about blocking access to your repos this way. 

Also, you can generate an ssh key from Sourcetree and upload it to your bitbucket account to have a seamless experience using both the products. 

Hope this helps!

Thanks,
Manjunath
Sourcetree Mac Developer

fairflow December 24, 2017

great Manjunath, OAuth sorted it, easier than ssh.  Thanks very much!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events