Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you not stage parts of a file without using the staging view?

Paul Atkinson April 1, 2018

Context: I don't like using the staging views in SourceTree.

Screen Shot 2018-04-02 at 5.56.27 PM.png

^^ I prefer the "no staging" view above.

In a large project with many directories SourceTree bounces around the tree structure at seemingly random moments, and opens directories we have already closed, moves me up and down the scroller (a whole other issue). This all makes navigating a list of complex changes a pain. But with "no staging" selected it's a breeze.

/context

What's driven me to write you all is advice about how to stage select lines or hunks from a document... whenever I click "stage hunk" it switches back to only staging the hunk of the file and all other files selected for committing go unchecked. So I have to eyeball the list of changes all over again.

Then... when I highlight lines with the staging view off there's the below ugly* error: 

Screen Shot 2018-04-02 at 5.54.11 PM.png

*I'll give you this. I'm not a git wizard and I really struggle when I'm not in some kind of GUI. So thanks SourceTree for making my life bearable. But I know you could make it fantastic!

1 answer

0 votes
bgannin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 4, 2018

Unfortunately the "no staging" view is optimized for working with entire files as you've found out. Once you stage a portion of a file then it needs to be displayed much differently. The current solution is to switch to a staging mode and re-use the existing functionality.

Even while writing this I can imagine several different options that might improve the experience but for now the best course of action is to file a ticket with your notes at https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/SRCTREE

Brian Ganninger
Senior Mac Developer, Sourcetree

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events