Can't install SourceTree due to login problems

mi_volodin October 2, 2017

I've read various topics on that problem here and already performed all proposed solutions to no success.

The problem is when I'm installing sourcetree it asks me to login to my account. This action fails in IE (I have 11.0.7).

When I try to access id.atlassian.com with IE it also fails after the login is accepted. Devtools shows the problem in the `require` object.

Specifically:

SCRIPT5009: 'require' is undefined

File: require-config.js, Line: 1, Column: 1

In two callbacks (one to some cdn service and the second is callback?email=...&state=... which I think is supposed to perform login itself.

Of course, everything works fine in anything but IE.

How to install SourceTree in that case?

18 answers

2 accepted

13 votes
Answer accepted
jlambvo February 5, 2020

Ooookay, after hours wasted on this nonsense I am uninstalling and never looking back. Thanks Atlassian. 

4 votes
Answer accepted
minnsey
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 2, 2017

Please see https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/SRCTREEWIN-7244

The login process relies on IE, as this underpins the WF webview.

Workaround

At a minimum IE needs to be configured as follows:

Cog/Internet options/Security settings need to be enabled

• Misc/Access data sources across domains
  • Misc/Allow META-REFRESH
  • Scripting/Active Scripting

• The browser mode set to 10
  • The document mode set to 10

These can be set using the F12 developer tools.

Those are the settings that matter. It should also be able to set them indirectly by:

• making sure https://id.atlassian.com is NOT set to be rendered in Compatibility Mode
  • Set Cog/Internet options/Security to Medium-High

Yes, that worked.

Several important notes:

1. Restart IE after changing Misc and Scripting behaviour

2. The login with Google won't work in that case. But atlassian ID finally worked.

Like Cristian likes this

And in my case setup failed (suspended after OAuth setup step). So I did not even saw other options in installer. But somehow the application works now :)

Konstantin Konopko October 2, 2017

What a hell are you doing, guys?! Please just forget about IE.

Still can't login while install process.

Like # people like this
Konstantin Konopko October 2, 2017

Where is Misc/Allow META-REFRESH?

image.png

mi_volodin October 3, 2017

Konstantin, IE is inevitable ... unfortunately. If you read the provided issue link - there's a detailed explanation why is it so.

Regarding your last question:

Misc stands for Miscellaneous. But this is wrong menu, you should try `Security` tab and `Custom level` button.

Like Данил Лынник likes this
AliaksandrLuferau October 9, 2017

I have maybe the same issue: 3 day I can't install Sourcetree. Only see the spinner on the login popup.login.png

mi_volodin October 11, 2017

Yes, this is exactly what I had. Consider trying the same solution.

AliaksandrLuferau October 12, 2017

Thanks Dmitry. But I have no luck to login anymore within SourceTree. But within IE I can go to https://id.atlassian.com and successfully log in. Maybe I need to use git bash instead UI.

mi_volodin October 14, 2017

Sorry to hear that. Hope that would be a nice esteem for Atlassian team to make things better

od December 14, 2017

I have the same issue as Aliaksandr. I can't install because installation hangs on login. The spinner does not stop spinning.

I'm using Windows7 and IE 11.

Installation only succeeds when I'm logged in as administrator. But then I cannot use the installation as a "normal" user.

Any suggestions?

minnsey
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 15, 2017

I would suspect our Admin user has different IE configuration to your standard user.

please check the IE configuration for your standard user against https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/SRCTREEWIN-7244

Peter Wake January 14, 2018

This is all very well, but the settings for IE are managed by our system administrator, and the default proxy is extremely strict.

We have another proxy for development, which is less strict, but it cannot be set globally, only for programs that do not use default Windows proxy.

Jiemurat May 28, 2018

Thanks. This helped me!

5 votes
Peter Wake January 14, 2018

The answer to work around proxy completely is here:

StackOverflow question 36467893 - sourcetree-installation-atlassian-login-stuck

It involves populating an accounts.json file and adding a blank passwd.txt file to %APPDATA%\..\Local\Atlassian\SourceTree at the point the installer blocks on the login popup, Re-run the installer and skips the login entirely.

andrea-ercolino_at_expertus-es October 19, 2018

Easiest workaround, thanks!

4 votes
mjsudol July 24, 2018

First problem Atlassian, you assume that users have the ability to edit any of the IE settings, in an enterprise network these are controlled by IT. 

Second problem is you are asking users to license a software through an account and login, which you are putting out there for free. GitHub Desktop allows that as "optional".  You should allow installation without a login, if you want to pester users about getting a license after install, by all means, but you are blocking initial installation and trial usage by requiring an account first.

You've created these artificial barriers to adoption of your product. Previous versions of SourceTree before the switch to the Windows Browser Platform, was such a superior Git GUI in my mind, it lead me and my company to start using paid Atlassian products.  If my first interaction with an Atlassian product were to be the current iteration of SourceTree I don't think I'd ever have considered Jira and Confluence.

2 votes
pratibha sharma April 24, 2018

This is such a shit..Wasted my 2 hours and still didn't find this working is totally disgusting. Did not expected this from such a big platform software. 

Had to make so many changes just to install a software and now I am just unable to complete the setup as in the browser issues, disgusting!

js May 16, 2018

my logon isssue has noting to do w/ the browser.. i'm just using the SourceTreeSetup-2.5.5.exe windows program.

the installer asks for root url and username at the register account step

and i have no idea what they are supposed to be

i tried

https://[username]@bitbucket.org/[username]/[repositoryName]/

https://[username]@bitbucket.org/[username]/

https://[username]@bitbucket.org/

https://bitbucket.org/[username]/[repositoryName]/

https://bitbucket.org/[username]/

---

we use all the other atlassian products and this is typical of the quality of everything from that co

minnsey
Atlassian Team
May 17, 2018

Js

I think you are trying to use the option to register against a Bitbucket Server installation, if you don't use Bitbucket Server you need to use the Atlassian account option.

js May 17, 2018

yes, i think thats correct.

i moved onto gitKraken then smartGit and found that product to be best.

were on github and full atlassian suite for work, tried bitbucket but settled on gitLab

sorry, not a big fan of anything created by atlassian.. the ui is confusing and limited.. ya'll need to stop designing apps using ux paradigms invented for the limited screens of phones

minnsey
Atlassian Team
May 17, 2018

No problem, thanks for the feedback.

Aina Aji Dian June 3, 2018

Untitled.png

Hi, i've some error..

I can't log in with BitBucket Serve, it always "Failed to check login for user"

And i try to log in with use an existing account Atlassian Account, when i click the button always show error

" JavaScript load error. We tried to load scripts but something went wrong. Please make sure that your network settings allow you to download scripts from the following domain: https://common-admin-cdn.atlassian.com/atlassian-id/front-end/2.5.24 "

Please help me

minnsey
Atlassian Team
June 4, 2018

The Bitbucket Server option authentications against a locally hosted instance of Bitbucket Server, not the cloud version of Bitbucket hosted at bitbucket.org

Aina Aji Dian June 24, 2018

So, what should i do?

Abhishek Matada August 25, 2018

I'm getting the same kind of errors, when tried to access in both ways i,e. through entering BitBucket Server URL , Username  credentials and through Atlassian account.

So could anyone Suggest me some solutions where i can use Sourcetree for my project

Thanks in advance.

minnsey
Atlassian Team
August 28, 2018

We are currently in beta testing of v3.0 which includes an option to register via Bitbucket (cloud) without needing IE to interact.

You can find details of the beta program here https://blog.sourcetreeapp.com/2016/03/25/sourcetree-beta-program-is-here-become-a-trusted-tester/

We hope to release this version soon.

1 vote
Paul_Schroeder April 17, 2020

Wow, wow, wow...I cannot believe this is still an issue almost 3 years later!  I'm using an Amazon Workspaces image and version SourceTreeSetup-3.3.8.exe. 

I tried switching my default browser to IE, it says my authentication is successful and that I can close the window, but it never gives me the option of getting past the registration step!  What a waste of time...moving on.

1 vote
minnsey
Atlassian Team
October 22, 2018

Hi
We are in the process of rolling out v3.0 of Sourcetree. This replaces registration via Atlassian account, tied to Internet Explorer, with registration via Bitbucket.org which makes use of your default OS browser.

You can download an installer from: http://product-downloads.atlassian.com/software/sourcetree/windows/ga/SourceTreeSetup-3.0.6.exe

1 vote
aiescm September 30, 2018

Atlassian has tied sourcetree to IE. Incredibly bad idea. Pathetic design decision. Bad policy Atlassian!!!! I think I will start using another git client on windows.

1 vote
Adam Solomon May 10, 2018

Wow...Having the same issue!!! You would think a big company like this test their crap!!! what a shame

0 votes
systemactivation July 20, 2020

Norton Activation is one of the best Internet Security Software for user devices. This is able to remove small viruses and online threats

0 votes
peter gallerani June 11, 2020

We use MFA, this helped me get around it...
https://www.codetd.com/en/article/9036212

0 votes
Deleted user June 10, 2020

This authentication process is such a retarded stupidity! 

0 votes
VLE April 21, 2020

this is absolutely insane, that people can't install app after 2 hours of tries. 

@minnsey  Could you have a look at SourceTreeSetup-3.3.8.exe, please?

OAuth authorization was successful in all browsers.  

minnsey
Atlassian Team
April 21, 2020

Hi

I'm afraid I no longer work on the Sourcetree project. Are you experiencing problems using IE to complete the installation process?

VLE April 21, 2020

Hi, @minnsey 

Sorry that taged you...In that case I probably shouldn't ask your help, but I do not know whow can help to solve that issue. 

Yes, I have a trouble during installation process at "Login" step for bitbucket account... 

It does not allow me to proceed with installation even if my logon was successful. (checked at IE, Edge, Chrome) 

Thanks in advance 

minnsey
Atlassian Team
April 21, 2020

No problem.

I can flag it up to the internal team.

Can you describe what does/doesn't happen as you go through the login flow?

Thanks

minnsey
Atlassian Team
April 22, 2020

Ok funnily enough that should work.

I'll try and have a play later today.

Are you in a corporate environment, proxies, security or anything or just a standard windows environment?

VLE April 22, 2020

Thanks, @minnsey 

Yes I have standard windows environment, but we can't be sure that all settings are clean enough due to the fact that I use this env. as my main development environment and it is protected by antivirus.

I wish I can say more but I do not know if installer write some logs where I can find what it is waiting for.... Maybe some port is blocked or smth like that. and. Since I see Auth0 authentication I would expect that installer is waiting some inbound traffic.

Jacob Kraft June 2, 2020

I am having the exact same issue.  Using Chrome and the 3.3.8 installer.  Once I try to authenticate, it opens a Google window, I approve the authentication, it says it is successful, but when I return to the installer, NOTHING -- it will not advance.  Just stuck.

Like Troy Baumgarten likes this
Troy Baumgarten June 8, 2020

Same issues as Mr. Kraft, above.

3.3.8 installer and Chrome, and I follow the same process he described, but after approving the authentication, I return to the original Registration window with a grayed-out "Next" button, and the "BitBucket" button (on the right) no longer works.

I am in a Corporate environment with a web-proxy, so that could be causing issues, but if so, an error message/log would be helpful for additional troubleshooting.

Another interesting item:  After approving SourceTree's request for access to my (new) Atlassian account, I don't see it show up as a Connected Application in my profile.  Not sure whether that's a symptom or the root cause of this issue...

0 votes
Alison Lau October 7, 2018

Hi, still having problems!! 

Have IE11 and done: 

• Misc/Access data sources across domains
  • Misc/Allow META-REFRESH
  • Scripting/Active Scripting

However, it's still not working and showing after trying to login into Atlassian account: 

Oops, you've made a malformed request.

Often, clearing your browsers cache and restarting your browser will solve this problem.
If that doesn't work, please contact support.

How do I resolve this?!

0 votes
john carter October 6, 2018

There is an issue with my computer  I can't able to log in and due to this, I am also not able to install source tree on my Personal Computer. There is always shows an error that Id and password are Wrong. I also updated the applications of my computer device but the problem persists and I was a Windows 7 32-bit operating system, Any solution? If you are a Microsoft Office user want any information about MS Office and query for solution go to the Microsoft Office Support. By following this I get a quick solution and response for my office 2007. this helps me, you can also try it.

0 votes
ensono-markanthony August 8, 2018

What worked for me was:

Tools > Options > Authentication

Select account with OAuth

Edit > Remove

Add > Select BASIC auth

Submit

Close/Reopen SourceTree - no more prompts.

0 votes
Martijn van Deel July 31, 2018

I can login to Bitbucket, but when i`m installing Sourcetree, my credentials cannot be validated.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events