Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can sourceTree keep synchronized with command line changes?

Mark Harrison November 18, 2015

Many times I have a sourceTree window open on my repo, but I'm also making changes via git command line (git checkout foo, for example).  I notice that when I do this, the sourceTree window is now out of sync with my repo state.

1. is there a danger in this?  If I do a sourceTree operation, could it break my repo state because I've changed things behind sourceTree's back?
  2. Is there a way to tell sourceTree to watch my repo state, and update accordingly?  i.e. if I change branches, have sourceTree also change branches?

1 answer

1 vote
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 18, 2015

There should be no danger, except possibly in some cases where you initiate an action in SourceTree while it is out-of-sync.

You can tell SourceTree to refresh by using the F5 key. If you make a habit of doing this whenever you shift your own focus to the SourceTree window, you should be safe from any possible harm from using an out-of-sync UI.

Johannes Kilian
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 18, 2015

I also think there is no danger. SourceTree is almost nothing but a graphical interface - the main work is done by underlying git. So even if SourceTree display is not uptodate and you trigger a git command via SourceTree the executing git process will take "the real situation" into consideration ....

Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 19, 2015

Exactly. The "danger" is mainly that the user doesn't know the "real situation", so the outcome of the command may not be what was expected. Git may push a commit that SourceTree wasn't displaying, for example.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events