Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I interact with remote branches from local SourceTree?

ratnesh_xyz November 8, 2017

Hi, New user here.

Is it possible to merge the branches of server repository (remote branches) from local SourceTree (assuming I have all the permissions)?

My issue is, I am using a git enabled server repository which does not have options to Merge branches. I have committed some files to my release branch and now I want to bring those changes to the master branch on server, but the interface doesn't have an option. I think it requires me to use git command line for such operations, but that is not a good option. 

So I am trying to find if there is a workaround in SourceTree to do the same.

1 answer

1 vote
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 10, 2017

Hi Ratnesh, you could pull your changes to Sourcetree, merge the changes here, and then push them to your server again already merged. Would that work for you? Have you tried it?

Regards,

Ana

ratnesh_xyz November 13, 2017

Thank you for your reply. But this won't serve my purpose here.

We want to manage the SERVER branches as: Master - the final release changes, and derived - as the production changes.

So every time some changes are finalized and pushed to the SERVER derived branch, it later needs to be merged to SERVER master too.

There is no need of multiple branches in my local repository.

I just need to find if I would be able to merge the SERVER branches from local SourceTree (assuming I have the admin permissions).

I hope I am clear in this description. Please let me know if you need further explanation.

Regards,

Ratnesh

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events