Branches no longer getting forked to a new graph line

emichaelb October 21, 2013

In Sourcetree, when I click the Branch icon, enter a New Branch Name and leave the other defaults, click CreateBranch, the branch is created but shows up in the same graph line as its parent. I.E. no forking of the graph. This is relatively new behavior. Is there some setting I've messed up? Thanks.

e michael

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
KieranA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 21, 2013

Hi Michael,

This is because your commit history hasn't yet diverged. In terms of ancestor order the new branch has a linear history. Branches will show once the branch you branched from contains commits which aren't in the branch you created. The log view will have branch indicators on the commits to show what belongs to which branch anyway. You can also use the filters in the log view to make sure what you're viewing is on that branch, too.

Hope that helps

emichaelb October 21, 2013

> "Branches will show once the branch you branched from contains commits which aren't in the branch you created"

Ahh, so that's the key here. Thanks for clarifying this. - e michael

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events