Branches no longer getting forked to a new graph line

In Sourcetree, when I click the Branch icon, enter a New Branch Name and leave the other defaults, click CreateBranch, the branch is created but shows up in the same graph line as its parent. I.E. no forking of the graph. This is relatively new behavior. Is there some setting I've messed up? Thanks.

e michael

1 answer

1 accepted

Hi Michael,

This is because your commit history hasn't yet diverged. In terms of ancestor order the new branch has a linear history. Branches will show once the branch you branched from contains commits which aren't in the branch you created. The log view will have branch indicators on the commits to show what belongs to which branch anyway. You can also use the filters in the log view to make sure what you're viewing is on that branch, too.

Hope that helps

> "Branches will show once the branch you branched from contains commits which aren't in the branch you created"

Ahh, so that's the key here. Thanks for clarifying this. - e michael

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Oct 23, 2018 in Sourcetree

Tip from the team: configure your repos for hosting goodness!

Supported Platforms macOS Windows We recently introduced support for additional hosting services such as GitHub Enterprise, GitLab (Cloud, Community Edition, Enterprise Edition), and...

722 views 3 2
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you